[SOLVED] Vzdump backups were working, now they're not. Help needed.

drzoidberg33

Feb 11, 2014
I'm trying to figure out why vzdump is failing on one of my CT's. It was working fine for a few weeks and now suddenly it just fails after taking almost 2 hours to finish.

Here is the log:
Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage disk2 --node proxmox0
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (openvz)
INFO: CTID 100 exist mounted running
INFO: status = running
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating lvm snapshot of /dev/mapper/vg1-lv1 ('/dev/vg1/vzsnap-proxmox0-0')
INFO:   Logical volume "vzsnap-proxmox0-0" created
INFO: creating archive '/mnt/disk2/dump/vzdump-openvz-100-2014_03_05-16_25_30.tar.lzo'
INFO: tar: ./var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1/2608: File shrank by 159744 bytes; padding with zeros
INFO: tar: ./var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1/2687: Read error at byte 0, while reading 9728 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./var/lib/mysql/ibdata1: File shrank by 14262272 bytes; padding with zeros
INFO: Total bytes written: 23309219840 (22GiB, 3.4MiB/s)
INFO: tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - command '(cd /mnt/vzsnap0/private/100;find . '(' -regex '^\.$' ')' -o '(' -type 's' -prune ')' -o -print0|sed 's/\\/\\\\/g'|tar cpf - --totals --sparse --numeric-owner --no-recursion --one-file-system --null -T -|lzop) >/mnt/disk2/dump/vzdump-openvz-100-2014_03_05-16_25_30.tar.dat' failed: exit code 2
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

What does the Input/output error mean and is that what's causing it to fail?

TIA

Last edited:
Can you try shutting down your pgsql server before running the backup? I vaguely remember seeing a bug about this on this forum recently.

Can you try shutting down your pgsql server before running the backup? I vaguely remember seeing a bug about this on this forum recently.

Will try that and see what happens. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Just to update this thread.

So it was the disk going bad, everything started to slow down on our Windows guest so went to investigate and found that the disk could no longer reallocate sectors due to the amount of bad sectors on the disk.

Data was still readable so did a few mysqldumps of our databases on the linux CT's (seeing I couldn't get the vzdump backups to complete) and then just restored to a clean disk from the last good backup.

Problem solved :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!