vzdump backup network

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
What is the network for vzdump or maybe it would be better to ask how to define that network on Proxmox.

I have 3 networks on my Proxmox, running:
1. for PVE cluster (1Gbps speed link agregation)
2. for hosting VMs (1Gbps speed link agregation)
3. for Ceph public (10Gbps speed link agregation)

As far as I can tell the backup is being sent via the PVE Cluster network but maybe it is because the PVE cluster in on vmbr0 interface with default configuration and it has nothing to do with actually being a PVE cluster network ? ...or maybe it is because the vmbr0 is the only (or default) network that has a gateway.

Anyway the real question is how to move it to another interface/network - in my case I would like to move it Ceph Public network as this is the only one with 10Gbps (x2 , link aggregation). I am using at peak on this interface 2.5 Gbps and my NAS storage have also 2x 10Gbps interfaces on the same switch so would like to use as much network speed as possible and move it from PVE Cluster subnet which was suggested to me.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

What is the network for vzdump or maybe it would be better to ask how to define that network on Proxmox.

It is simple the network how the storage is defined to be accessed to. If you you use e.g. NFS as backup storage the backup process uses the network address how it is defined in the storage configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!