Vyatta on Proxmox 1.8

axion.joey

Dec 29, 2009
Our company has been happy Proxmox users for a while now. And we'd like to deploy a new Proxmox server in an off-site data center. We plan on implementing BGP between our existing data center and the new facility. And I'm trying to get our company to use and support more opensource solutions.
To that end I'd like to install Vyatta as the Router/Firewall, instead of the Cisco platforms that we'd normally use. And while there are tons of posts on the internet regarding Vyatta and Proxmox, they all begin with "I set up Vyatta and now..." But I can't any guides or walk throughs that detail the actual installation. I know there are some changes that have to be made to the Proxmox host in order for it to use a VM/KVM as it's router, but I can't actually find them.
Here's a synopsis of what we're trying to accomplish. Can any share some pointers or point me to a resource to figure out how to do this?
  1. One physical server running Proxmox 1.8
  2. Server will be a Dell Power Edge 1950 with 2 NICS
  3. Proxmox host - one public IP address - using Vyatta VM as its gateway
  4. Vyatta (KVM or Container?) Acting as a BGP Router
  5. Many (we have over 100 running on similar hardware) Linux containers each with a public IP address that use Vyatta as it's gateway.
Thanks in advance for your tips and recommendation. If this configuration isn't recommended then we can either continue to use Cisco gear or run Vyatta on a dedicated server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!