Volume backup file level

DynFi User

Apr 18, 2016
dynfi.com
Hello Fellow Proxmoxer !

I am doing a study to see if Proxmox Backup can be used to replace some third party backup solutions currently deployed.
Scope is the deployment of a large scale CEPH cluster powered by Proxmox where we will need both VM level backup and file level backup.

But there will also be third party barebones put in the mix.
This can be seen like a huge filer running on Debian 9 or 10 with GlusterFS.
This servers contains 6.000.000 files of about 400K in size, so that's about 2.4 TB with a ∆ of 20.000 files daily so about 8GB

I don't think there will be any problem since we will use a 10G network and have hardware well sized to allow a smooth backup.

My initial tests have shown that the exact same backup done at 10' interval have backed up the same directories once again, even though these directories haven't changed much… But maybe there is somethings i am not doing correctly ?

You have to backup in the same archive not two distinct.

So my question is more on the client side :

• The time to inspect the archive might be > than the time set between two backups -- how can we speedup the inspection of the ∆ between two archives for such large archives ?
  • Is there a proxmox-backup-client available for both Debian 9 and 10 ?
  • Which client are available (or will be available within the next 2 months) ?
  • Do you have any particular advise for this setup ?
  • When will the VM level backup allow a simple* file backup inspection and restore" ?

*: by simple I mean where the restore procedure can be fast and easy and won't involve what is currently being describe in couple of threads that I have seen (ideally involving a simple GUI action).

Thx for your answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.

Are you going to provide proxmox-backup-client binaries for other systems (other Linux, FreeBSD, Macintosh, Win$) ?

How can we speed-up the inspection of archives (∆ comparison during backup operation) for file level backups ?

I spent few days to compile on FreeBSD, but no luck yet. I'm not familiar with rust, can somebody help me with rust? I would do the FreeBSD package if we have a working binary.

Following couple of example / guidelines provided in this forum, I have successfully deployed the proxmox-backup on Ubuntu 20.

And of course Debian is also a no brainer.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!