VNC vs. ProxMox Console

sirmikealot

Jan 6, 2011
Once I use any other VNC product, the ProxMox web interface ( using only 5900-5999 ) no longer displays a console ( it's a blank screen ).
Unfortunately, each VM is using TightVNC ( for various internal reasons ) with port forwarding and NAT routing etc... so I can't get away from this need.

In my case, I need to boot some VM's with a local .iso file to run some tools ( instead of the VM's operating system ).
But to do that, I need to see the VM FROM ProxMox's console ( instead of the O/S's instance of TightVNC )

When I click on the Console option,... I get the following error:

TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 135 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5901 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 135 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1
etc...

How can I call the ProxMox Console option with a port I desire, ( 59xxx ) instead of 5900, 5901 etc...

I'm using this script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# VNC for VM $1 on Port 59$1
[ $(lsof -i -w | grep -c 59$1) = 0 ] && nc -l -p 59$1 -c "qm vncproxy $1"&

exit 0

softlink it to /usr/bin/vnc and you can open a VNC with the command "vnc <VMID>" on port 59<VMID>:

# vnc 104

will open a VNC for VM 104 on Port 59104

you can then connect with your VNC client to the proxmox host on Port 59104.

Hmm, my router does only allow one combination of port / local ip adress so I have to mess with how I type the ports to get the entry to pass.

Example: I have one IP 10.1.1.31 that is a local gameserver with VNC opened for it on 5900.
If I add another port entry for another IP address I have to type 5900-5901 to cheat my way through.

I was surprised when I realized that the console did not work on 8006 as the server, but I guess there are reasons for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!