Vnc guest access without Sun JRE, can guacamole project be interesting?

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
hi, I'm committed to Free software and would love to use OpenJDK with IcedTea-plugin to have VNC access to guests, but unfortunately it does not work well (only partial image, second time Iceweasel freezes, kill Iceweasel and cross your fingers, etc.). As you already know, "sun" (Oracle) packages have to be removed from GNU distro, and in any case were not really FOSS.
Forgive my ignorance, but I've seen this project:
http://guac-dev.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guacamole/
that maybe could provide a good idea / libraries / code to have a "pure HTML5" viewer of guest console.
This post is just to make proxmox dev team aware of this stuff, and crossing my fingers that we will be "java free" soon :)
Also provide info to IcedTea plugin to fix the problem could help, but I've no clue about all this stuff, unfortunatly. If someone of proxmox team can provide me the correct and sufficient info, I could try to push the issue to icedtea dev.
Thanks a lot for Proxmox!

Just to be clear, Oracle Java is still available for Linux - it cannot distributed anymore by the Linux distributions but that's no real problem, just install "by hand".

In future, we will enable spice protocol to access KVM guests, this is the best solutions as far as we see it now.

Hi, 9 months since this post, and there is not (yet) spice support but still (or worse) Java hell. Now Guacamole has added RDP support too. Just wondering if you are re-considering this as a viable, easy and faster to implement, solution.
Can't probably translate correctly in english, but there is a say that tells "better is the enemy of good" :)
Thanks a lot

Maybe if you use proprietary versions of Java and not OpenJDK, and ony Java 6 and not 7. In any case be forced to use proprietary binary from untrusted source (Oracle... do I have to say more?) to use a FOSS project is not fun :) Debian GNU/Linux here.

Maybe if you use proprietary versions of Java and not OpenJDK, and ony Java 6 and not 7.

The TigerVNC java applet is nothing special - it is just plain java code. If it does not work with OpenJDK, there must be a bug there - or in the browser plugin you use. You already reported a bug to the developers?

Hi to all,
I have the opportunity to test many kind of browser (Firefox 3.6 /12 /14 /15 , Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 8/9) with java enabled and I have met the following problems in openvz container in a java console:
- TAB BUTTON in linux not alway works: in some browser, pressing the "tab button" happens that the cursor goes up to the console window; the right behavior would be that the tab key completes typing the name of the file that I want to execute;
- SHIFT+PAGE UP BUTTON doesn't work properly: pressing and releasing the two keys I can watch only the previous screen; taking pressed the two keys, I can go behind of many screens without any controll ; the right behavior would be that the right number of pressures of the two keys correspond the exact number of visions of the previous screens.

Now considered normal to find java in most devices, but it would be great if you could do without and I think that a console html5 might be a good idea.

the "tab" issue is already resolved, just use latest packages.

Maybe I'm missing some improvements then... I login Proxmox with Firefox, open the console of the VM and I'm asked about running the applet. Then I get an image bigger than the window it opens, or in any case the browser feezes after some time or after I try to open the console again.
Do I have to install the package tightvnc-java?
Thanks a lot

So what is needed? :)
If there is not need of Oracle Java 6, nor of OpenJDK, but only "TigerVNC java applet", what should I install i.e. in Kubuntu 12.04 and what configure?
The only place TigerVNC is mentioned in the wiki is: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0 but is not about make the "normal" console work, just from GNU/Linux terminal and is mentioned in the section "Enable Vnc 2.0 for use with old vnc clients (Including iOS and Android) ".
At this point I'm more confused than ever...

If there is not need of Oracle Java 6, nor of OpenJDK, but only "TigerVNC java applet"

I just told you to debug your java environment. If there are bug, someone needs to debug that. Or do you think bugs magically disappear?

update your box to 2.2 and test again, using modern browser (e.g. firefox or chrome) with latest Oracle java.

So, to recapt:
- I'm correct that with current OpenJDK there are problems, and the only solution is install Oracle Java, proprietary code
- you seem not interested in having a look / implement something based on Guacamole (that would work, client side, with HTML5) since with proprietary code we can run the "TightVNC java applet".
What I would like to know if you consider Guacamole very interesting, a possible good solution but don't have resources for that (right now), or you just consider it a bad idea and keep waiting for a Spice (someting installed in the guest?) solution.
In the former case maybe someone could have a look at that stuff and contribute code.
Regards and thanks a lot for the recent 2.2 release :)

Last edited:
So, to recapt:
- I'm correct that with current OpenJDK there are problems, and the only solution is install Oracle Java, proprietary code

Again, someone need to debug OpenJDK if there are problems.

- you seem not interested in having a look / implement something based on Guacamole (that would work, client side, with HTML5) since with proprietary code we can run the "TightVNC java applet".

Again, debug OpenJDK instead. Why should we implement a complete new technology only because of a small bug somewhere?

What I would like to know if you consider Guacamole very interesting, a possible good solution but don't have resources for that (right now), or you just consider it a bad idea and keep waiting for a Spice (someting installed in the guest?) solution.

I do not consider it a good solution for proxmox ve. spice looks far more promising.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!