[SOLVED] VNC console slow to connect during VM boot up

keeka

Dec 8, 2019
I find, when trying to reach the console of a vm when booting it, vnc is slow to connect. Meaning I miss the Proxmox splash screen/bios and the opportunity to interact with a guest's boot menu. e.g. pfSense and trying to interrupt boot to get single user mode.
Is there something I can do to check/improve vnc connection time at guest startup?
Many thanks.

This may have been caused by unavailable DNS. If I access the PVE web UI by IP, rather than hostname, I am able to get much quicker VNC console access to the pfsense guest and so see the splash screen and get to the guest's boot menu.
I expected the desktop OS or web browser to have cached DNS sufficiently long enough for this not to be a factor but it does seem to make a difference.

Oops. I just realised I posted this in the wrong subforum.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!