VNC console not working

mastermindpro

Nov 12, 2008
When I first installed PVE via the 1.0 CD, the VNC console option worked just fine. I haven't used it for a couple weeks, and no changes to the hardware node have been made (not even a reboot). After creating a new OpenVZ container, I get an error when trying to use the VNC console:

Network error: could not connect to server: vs8:5900

The option still works for other containers. Any ideas?

We used a template that we copied over from an OpenVZ install we have. Perhaps that's the problem? It's a CentOS 5.2 minimal template.

sometimes it takes me 2X to get into VNC console view on a fully virtualized KVM Win2003 server. have you tired closing the error console and then immediately open another VNC again, i.e. 2X?

Occasionally the VNC console is not working well. The VNC sometimes freeze and cannot display properly for the openSUSE 11.1 guest.

Is it the host or the guest issue?

I have the freeze problem with Windows XP+JDK 1.5.16 and Vista+JDK 1.6.10
My guest OS is openSUSE 11.1 using KVM
Today I try the Debian appliance in OpenVZ, the screen freeze when I use dselect and keep pressing down arrow to browse the packages.

Experiencing similar problem here. VNC session sometimes don't work after closing a previous session. Further analysis shows the TCP session stay ESTABLISHED, even when closing with "disconnect" button or closing the window. Closing the whole browser effectively close the TCP session, hence a new browser can open a VNC session.

I'm using Firfox 3.0.3, java 1.6.0_06-b02 on ubuntu 8.04 x86.

Someone else with this problem ?

You can show you TCP session with "netstat -anp | grep 5900".

Confirm

I confirm that VNC Console has problems. WinXP + Opera9.6 + Sun java1.6.
Sometimes (rarely) it could not connect. In case when guest screen is 1024x768, on my 1280x800 laptop I cannot see bottom of guest screen because browser window has no vertical scroller. This is unusable.

Browser VNC is excellent feature - it allows connect to VM from internet-cafe. Connecting external VNCviewer w/o need of runnung vncproxy everytime could be very cool option for PVE! Personally I am going to use inetd to run vncproxy all the time, as described in this post.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!