VNC 2.0 possible via external VNC Viewer

si458

Renowned Member
Hi,

i would just like to share how i got an external VNC viewer to work with the new proxmox VNC 2.0

create your KVM machine, once created get the KVM ID (e.g: 100, 120)
SSH into your proxmox host
nano /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/(THE ID).conf - ( nano /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/100.conf )
at the end of config enter the following...

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:100

this basically tells the KVM to run a vnc from the IP 0.0.0.0 (all) on port 6000 (5900 + what port you set)

run your container, and connect via external VNC :D

its also possible to setup VNC with a password
you do ' args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:100,password ' instead
then go into the console and run ' set_password vnc YOURPASSWORD '
but the console command has to be run every time you start up the VM because it doesnt remember the password for some reason? :confused:

hope this works for people :D

kindest regards

Simon

Last edited:
Hi,

i would just like to share how i got an external VNC viewer to work with the new proxmox VNC 2.0

create your KVM machine, once created get the KVM ID (e.g: 100, 120)
SSH into your proxmox host
nano /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/(THE ID).conf - ( nano /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/100.conf )
at the end of config enter the following...

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:100

this basically tells the KVM to run a vnc from the IP 0.0.0.0 (all) on port 6000 (5900 + what port you set)

run your container, and connect via external VNC :D

its also possible to setup VNC with a password
you do ' args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:100,password ' instead
then go into the console and run ' set_password vnc YOURPASSWORD '
but the console command has to be run every time you start up the VM because it doesnt remember the password for some reason? :confused:

hope this works for people :D

kindest regards

Simon

Why not simply follow the wiki ? ;)

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0

it's also possible to use your proxmox root password as password (don't known for others login)
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=sans-serif]We have added VeNCrypt PLAIN authentication.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=sans-serif]using tigervnc :[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=sans-serif]- encryption : none ,authentification: username and password[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=sans-serif]you can log with root@pam - rootpassword. (don't have tried with other logins)[/FONT][/COLOR]

I tried using http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0 and it doesnt work properly for me.

I have this line in inetd.conf
10101 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 101

and telnetting to that port gives me the same as running this command by hand

root@dkproxmoxve1:/etc# /usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 101
{"QMP": {"version": {"qemu": {"micro": 1, "minor": 7, "major": 1}, "package": ""}, "capabilities": []}}

I had to manually by hand create a .vnc file that it asks for.

root@dkproxmoxve1:/etc# /usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 102
unable to connect to socket '/var/run/qemu-server/102.vnc' - Connection refused at /usr/sbin/qm line 57.

root@dkproxmoxve1:/var/run/qemu-server# ls -la
total 56
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 880 Mar 2 15:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 1100 Mar 2 16:44 ..
-rw------- 1 root root 5 Sep 17 09:39 101.pid
srwx------ 1 root root 0 Sep 17 09:39 101.qmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Mar 2 15:07 101.vnc -> /var/run/qemu-server/101.qmp
-rw------- 1 root root 5 Sep 17 09:39 102.pid
srwx------ 1 root root 0 Sep 17 09:39 102.qmp

but since 102 is not running there are no .vnc file.

Looks like I am linking the wrong file to the .vnc file. But where else should I get it from?

If I try to use tightvnc viewer it does not connect and says "Unsupported protocol: ERROR: unkno"

running this version
ii pve-manager 3.1-20 amd64 The Proxmox Virtual Environment

ii pve-qemu-kvm 1.7-6 amd64 Full virtualization on x86 hardware

ii pve-cluster 3.0-12 amd64 Cluster Infrastructure for Proxmox Virtual Environment

Last edited:
I want to add this:

root@dkproxmoxve1:/var/run# dpkg --search $(which qm)
qemu-server: /usr/sbin/qm

root@dkproxmoxve1:/var/run# dpkg -l qemu-server
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-=======================-================-================-====================================================
ii qemu-server 3.1-15 amd64 Qemu Server Tools

My /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf file already contains this line

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:101

maybe that is why?

okay, so now TigerVNC fails with authentication failure, but I have supplied both my own account credentials and root credentials, it still will not let me log in. Any idea why?

okay, so now TigerVNC fails with authentication failure, but I have supplied both my own account credentials and root credentials, it still will not let me log in. Any idea why?
Heh, I refound my own question years later. To login I had to write root@pam and then my password and it worked.

please I like where how to resolve this problem
please let me kasi his solution could use its consul back the image belowUntitled.jpg

Please help me solve this problem
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!