VMWare ESXi import to Proxmox

luqmantanya

Jun 13, 2022
Hi,

We are currently planning to migrate from VMWare ESXi to Proxmox, and fortunately i read that Proxmox does support migration from VMWare ESXi to Proxmox, but the problem is the current running VMWare ESXi VMs is running on with external iSCSi storage, i would like to know if it the Proxmox able to import the VM which using external storage?

Yes it does, as I myself just migrated a couple dozen VM's from a vmware-cluster with an attached (multi-path) iscsi as storage to a proxmox-cluster (using the same hardware, so server-for-server, we luckily had enough resources to bring 1 server down at a time, and using the same iscsi-server too (but with a different target/lun made)).

Proxmox talks just to ESX for its information, as long as ESX can get to the data, proxmox can get to the data.

There are a couple of tweaks to the ESX-side that you want to do though to prevent time-outs or flood-protection being triggered during the transfer, so this topic [1] might be good to give a read through.
Some of the problems in there is outdated and fixed, so be sure to read through it all.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/n...ng-vmware-esxi-based-virtual-machines.144023/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!