VMs with no Internet in bare metal remote server & hardening questions

revvr

Sep 15, 2023
I found a great deal on a dedicated server that offered the option to install Proxmox. I run proxmox locally with great results, so I didn't hesitate in installing it and running a bunch of VMs instead of a single OS in this new server.

Proxmox has Internet, but the VMs I'm creating don't. I can't really figure out why though, but I assume it has something to do with the hosting provider seeing multiple MAC addresses per port. I do have 3 other IPs that I can use and the server seems to have a second network interface on it, but I can't figure out how to make this work. Given that I found this so cheap, support is not included and they're pretty firm on that.

I tried following docs to add masquerading, but it did not seem to work.

Any tips or help to get this going?

Separately, I turned on the firewall on the datacenter level and I'm only allowing access to port 8006 and 22 from a range of IP addresses from my local ISP. I have a very sticky IP (it has never changed in almost 3 years now), but I wanted to be covered in case it does change so I don't lose access to it.

What are some best practices for hardening this if I'm exposing some VMs to the Internet? I was planning on using an Alpine Linux VM with Nginx Proxy Manager on it and expose only that to the Internet. Thoughts?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!