[SOLVED] VM's will not start after hardware upgrade

Rockstar04

Mar 29, 2012
I upgraded my ProxMox servers Motherboard, Processor and Ram. ProxMox itself will run fine, and I have updated the network adapter to the new hardware address to I can log into the web interface, but when ever I try to start a VM I get a start error.

I tried to make a new VM and it had the same error.

Code:
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
No accelerator found!
TASK  ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 101 -chardev  'socket,id=monitor,path=/var/run/qemu-server/101.mon,server,nowait' -mon  'chardev=monitor,mode=readline' -vnc  unix:/var/run/qemu-server/101.vnc,x509,password -pidfile  /var/run/qemu-server/101.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name  MinecraftServer -smp 'sockets=1,cores=4' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on'  -vga cirrus -k en-us -drive  'file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,aio=native,cache=none'  -device  'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100' -m  10240 -netdev  'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge'  -device  'rtl8139,mac=2E:82:26:A7:18:B0,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300'  -cpuunits 1000' failed: exit code 1

So are there files I can update to get this working again, or a command to run to update the systems for the new hardware?

Last edited:
I upgraded my ProxMox servers Motherboard, Processor and Ram. ProxMox itself will run fine, and I have updated the network adapter to the new hardware address to I can log into the web interface, but when ever I try to start a VM I get a start error.

I tried to make a new VM and it had the same error.

Code:
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
No accelerator found!
TASK  ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 101 -chardev  'socket,id=monitor,path=/var/run/qemu-server/101.mon,server,nowait' -mon  'chardev=monitor,mode=readline' -vnc  unix:/var/run/qemu-server/101.vnc,x509,password -pidfile  /var/run/qemu-server/101.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name  MinecraftServer -smp 'sockets=1,cores=4' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on'  -vga cirrus -k en-us -drive  'file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,aio=native,cache=none'  -device  'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100' -m  10240 -netdev  'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge'  -device  'rtl8139,mac=2E:82:26:A7:18:B0,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300'  -cpuunits 1000' failed: exit code 1
So are there files I can update to get this working again, or a command to run to update the systems for the new hardware?

Hi,
you must switch on the hardware-virtualization in the BIOS (I assume your CPU have virtualization-support).

Udo

Faceplam. . .

I reset the BIOS and forgot to turn it back on, sorry for ultra-newb post, and thanks for the help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!