VMs sorted neither by ID nor by name. I there a way to sort them by ID at least?

I'm kind of new to Proxmox so maybe someone else knows something I don't but I do not believe there is a way to control sorting in Proxmox.

What you are seeing is that first it is sorting the containers by ID and then the VMs by ID. So it is sorting by ID but it does it in two groups.

While you may not be able to make it sort differently you can change your naming behavior so that it appears to be sorting by ID across the board. What I have seen recommended is that you pick a different range of numbers for containers and VMs. For instance all containers are 100-199 and all VMs are 200-299.

Unfortunately there is also no easy way to rename things that I am aware of. If it's that important to you then you will have to create templates using what you have already created, destroy them and recreate them with new names using the template you made. At least that is the process for containers. VMs may be slightly different.

Reactions: datschlatscher
In addition to what @guywhotypeslow slowly typed :p :

I recommend grouping your VMs via pools and change the view from Server View to Pool View. With that you can group them together manually, but the rules aready descibed are still in place.

Reactions: datschlatscher
What you are seeing is that first it is sorting the containers by ID and then the VMs by ID.
Templates and storages also have their own group.

Unfortunately there is also no easy way to rename things that I am aware of.
It depends on what your definition of "easy" is and what you want to rename. Renaming the "Name" is as easy as double-clicking the "Name" text field in the VM Options. Renaming the ID is not as easily possible as typing it in a text field. Though there are other ways, e.g. making a backup of your guest and restoring to a new instance with the desired ID.

I know that sorting of VMs by different values like ID, name, etc. is being worked on. I cannot give an ETA though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!