VMs running at 50% download speed

jllapin1

Feb 25, 2022
I installed a command line speed test on both my proxmox server and an ubuntu VM. On the proxmox server I get 800Mbps which is the max my ISP gets to me. In the VM running Ubuntu hovers around 400Mbps I have tried changing the Model with no success (VirtIO gives best performance). The VM has 6 cores of a Xeon processer and 32GB of ram so I don't think there is a resource constraint. Any ideas? I have a windows VM that gets about the same performance on the same host.

Not sure if it is still a thing but some repos used a old and buggy CLI version of speedtest that didn't allowed high speeds. So the problem could be the speedtest itself and not your connection. Best to also try it with another tool or by installing using the official speedtest repo and not the version shipped by your ubuntu.

Last edited:
My torrent client downloads on the VM top out at the speed I see from the speed test, on my PC they top out at what I see from the speed test on the host itself.

Just to mention it for completeness: every virtual NIC you configure into a VM can have an artificial "Rate Limit (MB/s)". Check your settings via Hardware --> Network Device --> Edit ;-)

Best regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!