VM's loose network connectivity after few minutes

Sprinterfreak

Mar 26, 2018
Hi.
I'am running proxmox on a rockpi-x wich hosts a few tiny routers and telegraf instances.

After a recent dist-update from basicly 5.4.98-1-pve to 5.4.106-1-pve on the host one openwrt (gluon) based vm shows unstable network connectivity.
The vm has 5 NICs configured of wich two of them net3,net4 are used to pass access to vlans via vlan aware vmbr0+tag to the vm.

Consistently after a couple minutes theese two interfaces stop forwarding packets now.
Theese interfces connect to vlan's wich are used to carry batman-adv encapsulated in vxlan-traffic.
If forward stopps, nothing is logged to syslog, messages etc. neither on the host nor inside vm.
Interface down/up fixes the issue temporarely.

Kernel inside vm is openwrt 4.14.193 custom built wich I don't suspect is the couldprit. Ran fine before host-upgrade.

- NDP yes
- RA yes
- DHCP yes
- even with Firewall off
- same result with virtio-net, e1000, rtl
- same result with i440fx and q35
- same result after re-installing vm
- same result after booting previous pve-kernel via grub - so I suspect the issue in user-space on the host

I'am out of ideas what else to look for...
Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Regards

This issue still persists.

What I've configured above was
host:
- vmbr0 vlan aware with enp1s0 as slave
vm:
- net3 vmbr0 tag 97
- net4 vmbr0 tag 98
In this case net3 and net4 stop forwarding packets after about a minute.

What I've tried now, wich runs stable
host:
- vmbr0 without vlan aware and enp1s0 as slave
- vmbr97 without vlan aware and enp1s0.97 as slave
- vmbr98 without vlan aware and enp1s0.98 as slave
vm:
- net3 vmbr97
- net4 vmbr98

Now the question: Why does the first not work and the latter does?
I'm not particurlaly happy with the latter approach, because it exposes the hosts ip stack into the dmz network.

Turns out disabling multicast_snooping on the proxmox host has solved connectivity issues so far.

Bash:
echo -n 0 > /sys/class/net/*/bridge/multicast_snooping

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!