VMs have no network after host NIC change

zzz09700

Apr 15, 2024
Today we did some upgrade work on our PVE host, including BIOS and BMC updates and a new PCIe NIC. After we are done with the hardware we had to update /etc/network/interfaces to add the new NIC into the vmbr0 (also the BIOS update triggered change in the name of NIC within the PVE host, no idea why this happened)

But then all the VMs lost internet connection and are only accessible through PVE virtual console. The PVE host is online so we think everything is good in the host's /etc/network/interfaces

Anyidea what went wrong?
This never happened in ESXi. One we update vSwitch settings of ESXi all VMs just act like they were connected to a new switch.

Did you reload after making the changes? Were there any error messages in the journal? How are the VMs accessing the internet? NAT?

Can you post your /etc/network/interfaces

I did a reboot with the host but still VMs does not have network connection. In the the nics are kept at down state and all of them are connected through bridging.

Since all of them are newly imported from ESXi, I wiped all disks clean, reinstalled PVE and re-imported them.

In the /etc/network/interfaces both nic ports from on-board I350 are included in vmbr0, I just changed the name there and nothing else.

It's not possible to reproduce the situation now so I'll keep going.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!