VMs freezing randomly

I got exactly the same problem (NUC11ATKC4, 16GB rAM, Proxmox 7)

vm on debian or ubuntu keeps freezing regularly, not real hint in the logs

I solved the problem for me (so far the unit is running for 10 days):
(1) installing the new 5.19 kernel (proxmox repository - no edge kernel)
(2) microcode update

The key seemed to be the microcode-update.
I hope I do not need to return to tell it still freezes ;-)

Thanks for any help throughout the forum!

EDIT 26.11.
freezes are back ... each debian vm ...
... search continues

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with VMs randomly freezing. IT happens multiple times a day at seemingly random times. Not all my VMs freeze at once but they are all affected at one time or another. All my VMs are Linux running different distros and different kernels. There is no information in the host syslog or in any of the guest logs.

Failure mode:
VM becomes totally unresponsive and CPU usage goes up to 100% on a single core. Proxmox will report 50% on VMs with 2 cores, 25% usage on VMs with 4 cores and so on.
All disk and network activity stops for that VM (according to my monitoring). The host has never frozen or become unstable.

Recovery:
Forcefully stop the VM then start it again.

Hardware:
Intel NUC 11 (NUC11ATKC4)
16 GB DDR4 RAM
M.2 SSD (ext4 filesystem, qcow2 virtual disks)
Realtek NIC chipset.

I have now spent many days on troubleshooting this so any info or idea you have will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
I got exactly the same problem (NUC11ATKC4, 16GB rAM, Proxmox 7)

vm on debian or ubuntu keeps freezing regularly, not real hint in the logs

I solved the problem for me (so far the unit is running for 10 days):
(1) installing the new 5.19 kernel (proxmox repository - no edge kernel)
(2) microcode update

The key seemed to be the microcode-update.
I hope I do not need to return to tell it still freezes ;-)

Thanks for any help throughout the forum!

EDIT 26.11.
freezes are back ... each debian vm ...
... search continues
Hi there,
Any update regarding this issue?
Freezes are back for me too, running 5.19.17-1-pve kernel, intel-microcode version 3.20221108 with N5105 Intel CPU.

I'll probably write a script or something to reboot frozen VMs automatically when they stop pinging (which may be useful and also very annoying).
Thank you for your feedback.

This helped for me (as wrote member Life1688 - Thank You very much :)

Update Intel-Microcode:
edit /etc/apt/sources.list add non-free and add this:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org bullseye-security main contrib non-free

apt update
apt install intel-microcode

After update remove the non-free from sources.list file
reboot

Reactions: Aryankids
I could fix the issue by upgrading the Kernel to the latest and the greatest (6.2.11-1-pve) and the latest intel-microcode. The box used to restart/crash once (sometimes twice a day) now running it for 5 days without any issues. It does look good. I am running Fridgate with a USB passthrough on the same box. Everything is functional.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with the N5095. I have the latest version of proxmox running. But when I edit the sources.list and run "apt update"and "apt install intel-microcode" I get:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Anyone any idea how to install this on Linux 6.2.16-6-pve and pve-manager 8.0.4

Stupid of me. The message tells me what to do. Run 'dpkg --configure -a'. After this I was able to install intel microcode.

But unfortunately this did not solve my problem. My VM still randomly freezes :-(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!