VMs Freezing randomly - Live migration unfreezes it.

Thanks @fiona, this is indeed great to hear. I've read through that other thread and whilst it does appear to resolve at least one issue for some, I'm slightly suspicious that it hasn't addressed all the cases. Thankfully, I haven't seen the issue occurring in a few weeks but when it was at its worst, the bug would be triggered within about 5 mins of booting the VM. That's nothing like the hours required with a test harness to provoke the bug into occurring. Let's hope this is a big step in the right direction though.

Very much appreciate the update, too.

Thankfully, I haven't seen the issue occurring in a few weeks
Good to hear! Can you correlate that with a kernel or QEMU update you did or something else?
but when it was at its worst, the bug would be triggered within about 5 mins of booting the VM. That's nothing like the hours required with a test harness to provoke the bug into occurring. Let's hope this is a big step in the right direction though.
Yes, that does sound different from the other issue. If it ever happens again, please share the GDB output as suggested earlier in the thread. (If you are on Proxmox VE 8, it's apt install pve-qemu-kvm-dbgsym gdb)

Can you correlate that with a kernel or QEMU update you did or something else?
I cannot, no. Zero changes made - no tinkering with ballooning, mitigations, nothing. There may have been a regular kernel update during that time (currently 6.2.16-4-bpo11-pve, so that's definitely been the case) but no proactive attempts at resolving it by hearsay methods in the forums.

Whilst that's massively unhelpful, I'm keeping my eye on things and if the issue does re-present itself, I'll get the debugging going.

I cannot, no. Zero changes made - no tinkering with ballooning, mitigations, nothing. There may have been a regular kernel update during that time (currently 6.2.16-4-bpo11-pve, so that's definitely been the case) but no proactive attempts at resolving it by hearsay methods in the forums.
AFAICS, that kernel was uploaded to the no-subscription repository on August 4th, so that might have been it. If you want to, you can check your system logs to see when you first booted into that kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!