VM's can ping out to some devices, but nothing can ping in

mnpolock99

Aug 28, 2024
Good morning everyone, I am running into some issues with my ProxMox lab environment. I have a 4 Nic server running a handful of vm's and 1 container for testing, and I cant ping into the VM's, and can only ping out to specific machines that are not on the host. I have the 4 nic's in the server each set to a separate Linux Bridge. I will lay out as much useful info as I can!

Gateway for network:

DC1 - Separate server running domain, DHCP and DNS:
192.168.0.151/24
DC2 - Separate server running domain, failover DHCP and DNS:
192.168.0.152/24

Personal PC, Static IP:
192.168.0.90/24
pointed to dc1 and dc2 for DNS

HP Printer, set static pointed to dc1 and dc2 for DNS:
192.168.0.101/24

Proxmox host, pointed to dc1 and dc2 for DNS:
192.168.0.160/24
Unable to ping to personal PC, but personal PC can ping back.
Can ping HP printer fine.

1 linux bridge has the Host Ip assigned to it, and the gateway assigned to it. The other bridges are all empty, with firewall turned off at datacenter, host and individual vm level.
The 4 VM's are all configured Statically, with IP's inside the reservation scope I set on the DC's.

I am able to ping the host IP 192.168.0.160 from inside the VM's, but cant ping any of the VM's from the host shell.
All the VM's are able to ping the HP printer, the DC's, but not my personal computer. They are all connected to a HP switch in default config.

The 1 container is able to be pinged by any device on the network, with the IP 192.168.0.156 assigned to it.

I am complete newbie, and will provide any information I can. I am trying to use this environment to learn, and would appreciate any relevant resources that should be used here!

Attachments

• Network Config.png
    Network Config.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Win10VMConfig.png
    Win10VMConfig.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 3
  • VDCConfig.png
    VDCConfig.png
    161 KB · Views: 2
  • VMSERVconfig.png
    VMSERVconfig.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 4
If these VMs are running Windows, is ICMP for ipv4 enabled in the firewall settings? That had me scratching my head forever when I couldn't ping my Windows PC.

If these VMs are running Windows, is ICMP for ipv4 enabled in the firewall settings? That had me scratching my head forever when I couldn't ping my Windows PC.
That's what it ended up being, chased my tail for a solid 2 days..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!