VMFS Equivalent

baggar11

Renowned Member
Aug 14, 2015
Portland, OR
www.puddlehunters.net
I just wanted to verify that if I have a storage backend that is exporting iSCSI LUN's, that Proxmox currently doesn't have a file system like VMFS that you can put on top of the LUN which supports snapshots and live migration.

I've got some test gear up, and it appears the only way to do this is to have your iSCSI LUN's hosted on some ZFS backend like FreeNAS, or setup a lot more gear for the likes of Ceph and/or GlusterFS? Am I correct in that?

I've been able to put LVM on top of the LUN's, which support live migration, but lose snapshots. ZFS by itself doesn't appear to support clustering, so other nodes aren't aware of the pool once the LUN has been formatted.

Given a scenario where a storage device has been purchased and it exports iSCSI LUN's, is there some configuration option I'm missing on the Proxmox side of things that would allow snapshots and live migration when Proxmox is pointed to the LUN's?

LVM on iSCSI is the best you can get - unfortunately no snapshot support.

Beside, most people here use distributed storage solutions like ceph, which provides much more features ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!