vmbr switches doesnt work after restart network service

student

Dec 6, 2018
Hello to everyone,
when I restart the host, the network works fine, but when I make a change (for example: I add port forwarding for some VM) and when I restart network service on the host, then suddenly the communication on vmbr is lost, after which I restart the host and the network again starts to work properly. Has anyone had a similar problem? Do you have any advice on how to do this without restarting the entire host?

This is (unfortunately) expected behaviour.
* When restarting the network service on your host the vmbr interface gets removed and created anew.
* Through this the associations of the guests' tap interfaces to the bridge are lost and not recreated.
* The recommended way for making network-changes is to change the config and reboot the node afterwards (that way you also know that the changes survive a reboot :)

PVE ships (since roughly 6 months) `ifupdown2` optionally. It is (for the greatest part) a drop in replacement for `ifupdown`, but adds quite a bit of functionality. One new feature is the tool `ifreload`, which reloads the interfaces without losing the association - you could try that

hope this helps!

Hello, I solved the problem. What was trick:
- when you add new vmbrX or change some options on current vmbrX, configuration is entered into file "interface.new"
- than you should do: cp interface.new interfaces
- next: rm interfaces.new (to avoid messages in GUI panel)
- finally: ifup vmbrX (if necessary, you should type ifdown vmbrX before ifup command)

ATTENTION: NEVER RESTART NETWORK SERVCIE because of #Stoiko Ivanov explanation :).

Cheers!

Excuse me if i bring alive this thread again. Please advise me if i should have done something different.
New to proxmox, i came up to this problem today.
  • Having installed version 6.3-3, realized that the workaround with the interface.new file does not apply to this version.
  • Have not installed ifupdown2 in order to test ifreload (a little bit afraid that there might be a slight chance to loose connectivity if something goes wrong, but i will test it in a dev enviroment).
  • Obviously did not want to reboot

What i did, was to go to the hardware settings of the VMs and remove the network device. Then i added a network device again with the same settings (i guess this deleted the old tap and created a new one). Inside the VM, from the console, i did a networking restart in the VM and everything was working fine again.

Could this workaround create any problems to the future regarding the VMs or the node?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!