vmbr or venet? private subnets

rh3

Feb 12, 2015
hi there,

i have some root servers with 1 public IP, where ssh and proxmox:8006 runs.
internal, i tried venet0 as well as vmbr0, usind NAT and portforwarding to provide services.

when using venet, i can very easily assign IP-Adresses but the clients are connected to the physical network to to each other.

when using several vmbr, i need to handle the addresses on client side, but can seperate them totally from tha physical NIC and from each other, creating several subnets.

so how do i combine the advantages so i can manage the adresses in the WebGUI bit but do not allow access to the "real" NIC?
If one VM gets compromised i dont want it to get access to the NIC (my hoster already plugged out the cable once because of one miscofigured client).
Does a bond do what i need?

thank you for reading :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!