VMBR naming conventions

vargabesz

Aug 29, 2009
Hello.

First of all I would like to congratulate to you on this great product.

Second, I have a question: when I create a bridge interface, is it possible to somehow add a description to that bridge? This way I would instantly know for example which vlan it belongs to. The vmbr name doesn't tell me much, I always have to look it up in the interface configuration page.

I'm also finding it a bit distruptive when it comes to assigning bridges to VEs. I always have to double check the actual bridge configuration in order to be sure that the VE won't get connected to wrong vlan accidentially. Especially when dealing with an environment of many proxmox hw-hosts with a bunch of bridges in every box it's tricky to remember which vmbrX represents which vlan.

Would it be hard to implement bridges with non-fixed naming convention or aliases to vmbrX bridge names? I understand that these might be hard-coded "very deeply" into perl scripts though.

Since 1.4 included unlimited bridges, I title each bridge by the vLAN it is assigned. For example vLAN56 is vmbr56. This removes any need for a description for me.

I didn't realize that you can create bridges in a non sequential order too. So bridge number to vlan number analogue is now easy to implement. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!