VM won't start

chrisalavoine

Sep 30, 2009
Hi there,

One of my VM's crashed overnight and now whenever I go to start it I get this error:

[ 0.573815] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

The VM is a KVM Windows 2008 guest.

pveversion -v:

pve-manager: 1.7-11 (pve-manager/1.7/5470)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-30
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-30
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-28
pve-firmware: 1.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-10
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

I've tried restoring from last night's snapshot but I get the same result. I'm thinking the damage was already done and it snapshotted like that.

Currently getting an offsite backup from last week but that's taking a long time.

Have tried to migrate to another host but same result.

Storage is on iSCSI SAN using LVM.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?

Chris.

Have just found out from the guys on site that this happened at 2pm today. He was RDPed into the box and it crashed on him. He then tried to connect via the Proxmox VNC console and it went POOF! (his words) and crashed. On reboot we got the Kernel panics.

Chris.

i have just upgraded to kernel 2.6.32-4-pve and i am also experiencing some strange misbehaviours.

try falling back on your previous kernel and see if it stops the errors.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!