VM won't start after disk set to virtio

florianbizet

Apr 27, 2021
Hi,

I need your help because the Windows VM won't start after virtio block set on disk.

I've converted the disk image:
qemu-img convert -O qcow2 -c /backup/images/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2_backup vm-101-disk-1.qcow2

I've installed the virtio drivers on the Windows VM (Windows Server 2012 R2).

I down the VM.
Change IDE to Virtio Block
Change boot order
After, i start VM.

Windows is loading (circle), and blue screen (can't start).
After 2 boot, i'm redirected to repair.

My config machine in attached files.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• machine.PNG
    machine.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 10
Did you add a small dummy VirtIO disk before you shutdown the VM and changed the main disk?

For some reason, Windows needs this to happen in order to be able to boot from a VirtIO disk.
So change it all back to IDE, boot it up, add a small 1G dummy VirtIO disk. Wait for Windows to recognize it in DiskManagement. Once it shows up, you can remove it again and change the main disk and boot order to VirtIO.

The procedure is also explained in the PVE wiki(bottom of the page): https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Additi...rt_Windows_to_use_.28VirtIO.29_SCSI_.28KVM.29

is there a trick to making this work other than the small dummy disk? i did all of that and i'm still getting the BSOD when i try to boot w/ the drive attached as SCSI...

you need remove drivers of the sata unit before of restart the system, this solved the problem

step 1 - use sataX for mount your Windows hard disk
step 2 - use dummy hd unit with virtioX method
step 3 - start the VM booting from sataX Windows
step 4 - go to device manager and to do right click in the drivers of sataX hard drive device for uninstall the driver (you can know this info from My pc, clicking with right click and properties in the Windows unit)
step 5 - press in yes restart computer now ¡¡CAUTION!!, stop the VM in proxmox fast when windows is shutdown
step 6 - remove the dummy virtioX hard disk and change the sataX Windows Hard disk to virtio0
step 7 - have fun!

You're welcome

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!