VM with i440fx 2.1(not start)

Tartar

Sep 23, 2022
Hi.
I have a VM with Windows XP on very old server (server is dead). VM has 2 core (Penryn) and has i440fx 2.1 (and VM was on real ntfs partition).
On new server with Proxmox 7.1 create VM with this cfg, but when press Start VM I have an error:
kvm: -device vmgenid,guid=3009561f-c5cc-4f9a-9a84-241ee570c122: vmgenid requires DMA write support in fw_cfg, which this machine type does not provide
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
If change to minimal version when VM start (2.5) Xp need to be activated. I'm not sure ProduKey read valid XP key.
How to run VM with 2.1 to avoid activation??

you should be able to edit the config so that
Code:
vmgenid: 0
is set, this should disable the vmgenid hardware (that it's complaining about)

EDIT: it should also work to simply remove it from the config

Last edited:
It works.
Thx.
It possible to automate it? When press Submit automatically remove it from config.

It possible to automate it? When press Submit automatically remove it from config.
no, when you use the webui it uses the default for that. if you create the vms via api/cli, you should be able to add the parameter there..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!