VM used Double disk space in local-zfs. cant find the solution. please help

rptechworld

Aug 2, 2021
Hello,

I have two promox server.
server 1 and server 2 are same clone. both server have same config and same vm .

but server1 used 94% disk space but server 2 used 43% disk space.

server 2 are working fine but server 1 get disk space full and all vm stuck.

please help me about this issue.p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Hello,

Compare both server using df -h to see where server 1 have use more space (if both server are the same storage size and same VMs)

Hello,

Compare both server using df -h to see where server 1 have use more space (if both server are the same storage size and same VMs)

Here is result

server 1:

p1a.jpg

server 2:

p1b.jpg

result for : # zfs list

server 1:

p1c.jpg

server 2:

p2c.jpg

result for # zfs list rpool/data/vm-101-disk-0

server 1:

p1d.jpg

server 2:

p2d.jpg

VM size on both server is different but i was restore both from qmrestore with same backup file.

Also if i delete vm 101 from server 1 and restore it to storage "local" instead of "local-zfs"
its used same space as sever 2. like 18 GB but used 39GB in local-zfs.

any solution really help me.

VM size on both server is different but i was restore both from qmrestore with same backup file.

Also if i delete vm 101 from server 1 and restore it to storage "local" instead of "local-zfs"
its used same space as sever 2. like 18 GB but used 39GB in local-zfs.
can you please share the output of `cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg` command?

Hi,

i edited it from #nano /etc/pve/storage.cfg

but still not change in disk space.

server 1:

p1f.jpg

server 1 : storage is still same

p1g.jpg

You can enable the thin provision by going to the PVE Web UI Datacenter ⇾ Storage ⇾ select the storage and edit it then check the Thin provision option then ok

Its already enabled in both server 1 and server 2

p1h.jpg

But still its not freeup space.

Last edited:
it will only affect new volumes - you can check whether 'refreservation'/'refquota' is set on individual datasets to see if they are thin provisioned or not.

I dont know how to check whether 'refreservation'/'refquota' is set on individual datasets for thin provision. can you help me how to check.

zfs list -o name,refreservation,refquota -r POOL

Here is result: # zfs list -o name,refreservation,refquota -r rpool

p1i.jpg

is that thin provisoin enabled on all VM ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!