VM Trying to connect via 10 GB network

ImpactStrafe

Jan 8, 2016
Hi,

I hvae a four node HA proxmox system. I am using Ceph as the HA system. It has its own 10GB network that is not connected to anything but my four proxmox hosts. I am currently running 11 vms on it. I cloned a template so I could bring up another VM and I ran into a very confusing problem. In the vm it is trying to use the 10GB network, despite the 10GB network not being given to the VM. I gave it access only to the bridged 1GB network. If that wasn't screwed up enough the VM CAN connect to the AD server that runs on the 1GB network, but not the internet, the gateway, etc. In between the vm and the gateway is proxmox and a switch.

I've checked all my configs and everything looks fine, however maybe someone else can provide more insight. None of the other VMs on this cluster have a problem.

I've removed the bridged device, after uninstalling the drivers and device in windows, rebooted the machine, shut it back down, put the bridge back on, start, install drivers again, does the same thing.

Here is a picture of the in windows network properties, showing the attempted 10GB network usage:
T9xisnS.png

Network Interfaces file
:
oAuEsB1.png

Proxmox GUI config of the Interfaces File:
y4os9uY.png

VM 1 Hardware Config:
vnRE41Q.png

VM 2 hardware Config:
QL54QAV.png

Finally here is the version of Proxmox that I am running:
3hhaJYO.png

Anyone have any thoughts as to a) how the VM is trying to see the 10GB network? And B) How if the vm is using the 10GB network it can see the AD server which resides on the 1GB network?

The VIRTIO drivers present as a 10GB network. They 'negotiate' at that rate as well, as the VMBR0 allows them to. VMBR0 then passes that traffic on it's own uplink, in this case your 1GB.

Think of your VMBR0 as a switch. All your vms on that switch can talk over it to eachother at a really nice speed that is usually capped by their own software. And then when they go off device and instead go to the real network, it gets limited.

I looked at my VM's, and it reports the same thing. I have no physical 10g on this server at all, it only goes up to 4 bonded gig nics. Still says 10g.

lol. That is funny. Good to know though.

So still, how is the traffic passing incorrectly to the 10gb card instead of the 1gb?

So, you can hit your AD that's on the 1gb? Then you're on the 1GB. Have you checked your network configs on the vm itself and not the host, as well as the firewall on the host?

It appears that the issue was a errant switch that was dropping the ARP entries which was preventing internet access and causing issues. So no issues in my proxmox config which is nice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!