VM to ISO, V2P in Proxmox. How can I install a VM from USB stick?

pauls

Aug 24, 2021
So i want to make an ISO image of a VM in Proxmox. I am going to use Clonezilla to boot in and install the ISO on the the target machines, I'm not using windows.

But I am confused on how I would go about make a Proxmox VM into an Image?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What is your goal here? Do you want to transfer a VM to a physical server?

Reactions: pauls
What is your goal here? Do you want to transfer a VM to a physical server?
More client machine than server. But yes. I have clients in which the machine setup has to be specific. I have a VM image (Linux Mint) of what each machine should be and I just need to V2P it.

Okay, then I'd recommend skipping the ISO step. The VM disk contains the data necessary to run the system, not install it. Just 'dd' the VM image to the target drive and boot from that in the physical environment. Bar any driver/compat issues, this should work fine.

Okay, then I'd recommend skipping the ISO step. The VM disk contains the data necessary to run the system, not install it. Just 'dd' the VM image to the target drive and boot from that in the physical environment. Bar any driver/compat issues, this should work fine.
Hi thanks for the reply. So after doing some digging I found a block special file do I just DD that file?

Don't know what you mean with that... The location of your disk image (of the VM) will depend on your storage. If you're using ZFS it will be similar to /dev/zvol/pool/vm-<vmid>-disk-0, if you're using LVM then /dev/mapper/pool-vm--<vmid>--disk--0 etc... That's the file you need to 'dd' to the physical disk that will go into your physical client machine.

Don't know what you mean with that... The location of your disk image (of the VM) will depend on your storage. If you're using ZFS it will be similar to /dev/zvol/pool/vm-<vmid>-disk-0, if you're using LVM then /dev/mapper/pool-vm--<vmid>--disk--0 etc... That's the file you need to 'dd' to the physical disk that will go into your physical client machine.
Ah I see, What I mean by that was im looking in /dev/mapper/vm--101... and its a link so i do 'readlink vm--101..' and it says it links to a file in /dev called dm-12. i use 'ls -al /dev/dm-12' and it is a special block file.

I was just wondering should I copy that or the link itself but it seems like it wouldn't matter. Thanks for the help Stefan :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!