[SOLVED] VM Timeout with PCI HBA card

newpain01

Nov 14, 2022
I have a Dell Precision T3610 with a 10 core Xeon and 96GB ECC RAM running Proxmox. Just installed TrueNAS Scale and it was booting fine until I configured PCI passthrough. I enabled IOMMU and I can see all hard drives from the HBA in Proxmox, so the card is working fine.

I am allocating 4 cores and 16GB RAM to the VM.

The HBA card is seen as:

Code:
03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions HBA Ctrl SAS 6G 0/1 [D2607]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32, IOMMU group 17
        I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
        Memory at fb600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Memory at fb580000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Expansion ROM at fb100000 [disabled] [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [68] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [a8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=15 Masked-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [138] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [150] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV)
        Capabilities: [190] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
        Kernel driver in use: mpt3sas
        Kernel modules: mpt3sas

Code:
root@pve:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 4
hostpci0: 0000:03:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0
machine: q35
memory: 16536
meta: creation-qemu=6.2.0,ctime=1675873673
name: TrueNAS
net0: virtio=E6:0F:2C:A6:D2:42,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: VMpool:vm-100-disk-0,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=6f2bc71b-4eb6-4101-8cae-d405e5328aa0
sockets: 1
vmgenid: d8e98f8f-411a-4619-8b6b-7b87e93f1e58

I found this thread and used his settings from comment #3, but it doesn't work for me.

As soon as I click Start on the VM (or run `qm start 100` the Proxmox server becomes unresponsive and I have to physically turn it off and start it again.
I am not able to tail logs from `/var/log/syslog` during startup.

Any ideas what might cause this and how to troubleshoot it?

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 3.32.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-08 at 3.32.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Please provide the full output from the PVE-host in code-tags each of: cat /proc/cmdline and:
Bash:
for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*; do n=${d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n=${n%%/*}; printf 'IOMMU group %s ' "$n"; lspci -nns "${d##*/}"; done

Also, to be sure: Your PVE-system-disk(s) and/or any guest-storage is not connected to that HBA?!

Please provide the full output from the PVE-host in code-tags each of: cat /proc/cmdline and:
Bash:
for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*; do n=${d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n=${n%%/*}; printf 'IOMMU group %s ' "$n"; lspci -nns "${d##*/}"; done

Also, to be sure: Your PVE-system-disk(s) and/or any guest-storage is not connected to that HBA?!
My PVE SSDs are connected to the same HBA, on a different channel, is that the problem?
I have 2 SSDs for Proxmox in Raid 1 and 2 SSDs for the VMs also in Raid 1, all 4 connected to one channel on the HBA and then 4x14TB HDDs connected to the other channel on the HBA.

My PVE SSDs are connected to the same HBA, on a different channel, is that the problem?

With PCIe-passthrough the whole device, including all its functions and also all that is connected to it, is passed through to the VM and the host "loses" it; so yes, this is a problem. ;)

Reactions: newpain01
With PCIe-passthrough the whole device, including all its functions and also all that is connected to it, is passed through to the VM and the host "loses" it; so yes, this is a problem. ;)
Oh wow, I wasn't aware that the whole device is passed through to the VM, I thought it would still be available in Proxmox.
Thank you so much, I spent days troubleshooting this and couldn't figure it out.

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!