VM Storage size is to high

BadFrog

Renowned Member
Jul 31, 2015
Hello,
honestly im pretty new with proxmox but i got everything running so far. But when i added a second hdd i tried to give to one created vm. I can add it and name the size, but there seem to be no limit. Its like i can set it to 3000GB but it only have 2000GB . Is there a problem in oversize the hdd, i mean there is a physical limit so it wont matter, but i´m afraid of data loss!

Can anyone help?
If you need previous details please feel free to tell me.

Check the controller type or maybe the disk type. I am new to proxmox so can not say outright but if disk or controller is ide than the limit is 2tb

Sent from my phone

Hello,
honestly im pretty new with proxmox but i got everything running so far. But when i added a second hdd i tried to give to one created vm. I can add it and name the size, but there seem to be no limit. Its like i can set it to 3000GB but it only have 2000GB . Is there a problem in oversize the hdd, i mean there is a physical limit so it wont matter, but i´m afraid of data loss!

Can anyone help?
If you need previous details please feel free to tell me.
Hi,
it's depend on your storage. If you use qcow2 for the VM the disk-file use only the space was used by the client (plus snapshot and so on).
So you can easily overcommit, which makes sense if you create an big storage-VM and expand the underlaying filesystem short time later.

And of course yes, you will run in trouble if you forget your overcommitment. But for this pve shows the available space during hdd-creation.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!