[SOLVED] vm storage migration leaves logical volume behind

kernel_panic

Mar 25, 2019
Hello,

ProxMox VE version 5.3-11

I have two local raid arrays on my server. Each one is raid 1 (mirror) and each is its own volume group (pve, and vmdata). I had created a vm on the pve set of disks, but decided that I needed to move it to the vmdata set of disks, so I shut down the vm and performed a storage migration from the gui. All seems well. However now it appears that the vm has created two separate lvm thin volumes.

root@pve1-gkh8ww1:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- 75.87g 0.00 0.04
root pve -wi-ao---- 33.75g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
vm-100-disk-0 vmdata Vwi-a-tz-- 32.00g vmstore 4.29
vm-100-disk-1 vmdata Vwi-a-tz-- 32.00g vmstore 6.09
vmstore vmdata twi-aotz-- 80.00g 4.15 2.54

Does anyone know why there would be vm-100-disk-{0,1} after performing a storage migration? I would like to delete the unused logical volume but I can't tell which one is the unused one. I am not sure if anyone else has run into this before.

So I believe I may have figured it out. If I start the VM and run lvs I can see that vm-100-disk-1 is in an open state (has the 'o' bit set)

root@pve1-gkh8ww1:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- 75.87g 0.00 0.04
root pve -wi-ao---- 33.75g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
vm-100-disk-0 vmdata Vwi-a-tz-- 32.00g vmstore 4.29
vm-100-disk-1 vmdata Vwi-aotz-- 32.00g vmstore 6.09
vmstore vmdata twi-aotz-- 80.00g 4.15 2.54

So from this I gather that it should be fine to run lvremove on vm-100-disk-0 to simply remove the unneeded logical volume. However, this still does not explain how the two logical volumes came to exist in the first place (especially when I specified 'delete source' in gui).

ok, I'm not exactly sure what I did differently but now it is working perfectly. You can watch the process happen on the backend by running the following on the hypervisor while the migration occurs

# watch lvs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!