VM starts only in Text Mode and without keyboard.

WhiteTiger

May 16, 2020
Italy
I am creating some VMs, others I have already created.
They are all configured in the same way.
The installation disc is the latest version of Debian 11.
All standard options, CPU with 2 sockets and 2 cores, Memory Min / max 512/2048, guest agent enabled.

Usually the first screen appears asking for the installation mode.
I press Enter and continue with the graphical installation.

Instead since yesterday afternoon, I press enter and the installation in text mode starts, but what is worse is that the keyboard does not work and therefore I cannot use this either.

I checked in Hardware, but all options are the same.
I've tried removing the VM and re-creating it, but it's still in text mode with no keyboard.
Even restarting Proxmox, same result.

When the VM starts, you see two messages, but they are too fast to be able to take note of them.
The VMs installed and which then provide a graphical user interface are still working in a graphical environment.

==== Update 1
I noticed in the task list that there is always the message "Error: Failed to run vncproxy"
I also noticed that the VMs created today, after starting proxmox, are working fine. Those created yesterday did not.

==== Update 2
I do not understand.
Now a new VM to be installed still starts in Text Mode and without keyboard.
I also downloaded a new Debian 11.1 ISO.

Last edited:
hi,

could you post the output from qm config VMID (replace VMID with your VMID) and also pveversion -v?

I noticed in the task list that there is always the message "Error: Failed to run vncproxy"
that's usually a side effect of the VM not being started.
Text Mode and without keyboard.
do you have a screenshot of this?

hi,

could you post the output from qm config VMID (replace VMID with your VMID) and also pveversion -v?

that's usually a side effect of the VM not being started.

do you have a screenshot of this?
The problem is "random" when installing Debian 11. With the ISOs of other Linux operating systems it never occurred.
Even changing the ISO the problem recurs. In any case, the ISO is downloaded with a URL and verified with its HASH, so it's certainly not a bad ISO problem.
I will do some more tests and if it comes back, I will post the requested information.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!