hugepages: 2
name: Akashic
net0: bridge=vmbr0,virtio=3A:63:30:35:37:35
numa: 1
ostype: other
smbios1: uuid=b9d43e1e-586a-40bd-9fe1-190015671575
sockets: 2
virtio0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=64G

hugepages: 1024 didnt work, had the same errors as above.

Thanks again, I would've never figured this out, but in retrospect it makes sense that it was limited to one processors ram.

Let me know if I can send you some beer money, or a few bucks towards some new toys.

btw, apparently I have a second account :/

Last edited:
That's awesome. I am glad it worked for you.
Re beer: Not really expecting but I'll PM you later on. :)
I hope this helps @adamb as well, if he is still interested in resolving the issue.

I think this is also possible by enabling transparent hugepages which I noticed is disabled by default on proxmox.
With THP you probably don't need to worry about enabling numa and specifying hugepages in vm config. (Not tested)
But the current configuration gives you better performance than THP.
You can't use ballooning though, it's one of the drawbacks of using hugepages.
Being able to use 1GB hugepages may increase VM performance a little if your system actually supports.

Reactions: glitch
I just tried 1gb huge pages again, and its actually working, so even better :)

I thought I tried before but must have screwed something up, was doing it over mobile so its possible.

This is a great solution for people who want to virtualize things like Freenas, as the more ram you can throw at it the better it runs, with the caveats of virtualizing such an appliance of course.

Thanks again!

It's good to know this worked as well. I had tried running VM using 1GB hugepage and it does work on promox once you add the entry in grub.
So, yeah something must've screwed up before.

Virtualization has improved so much that you actually won't see any difference in performance when using pci passthrough for controller and using hugepages.

You're welcome.

After fighting with node reboots for 4-5 days and being absolutely lost as to why (no error messages) something in this thread with the grub or vmid.conf got me up and running with a GPU attached. So thank you for this 3.5 year old thread. Now to work backwards and find out what the actual fix is from all the things I tried in here...

The huge pages part is what fixed this for my intel arc gpu passthrough to an alpine linux vm. This ancient thread saves the day again.

Helped me with nvidia GPU passthrough to NixOS and 32GB RAM. Thank you ancient thread!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!