VM start timeout after snapshot deleted

Mrt12

May 19, 2019
Hi guys,
I have a Windows VM where I had one old snapshot. Today, I wanted to migrate the VM to another PVE node, and this gave me the following error:

Cannot migrate VM with local CD/DVD.

The reason was that the VM had a DVD drive while I made the snapshot, but now I removed the DVD drive. Still I could not move the VM, so I decided to remove that snapshot. This worked well, and now the error disappeared. However, before I migrated the VM, I wanted to test whether it still boots nicely, so I tried to start it. However, I got an error: could not start VM - got timeout.

Why is this and how can I resolve it? my PVE node now seems to be locked up somehow, I cannot watch the console of other VMs and I cannot start the VM I wanted to migrate.

Further, when I choose the Migrate button, I cannot select the target storage for the disk images. I think this was possible previously.

What can I do to resolve the lockup issue?

hi,

the following could be useful for debugging:

* systemctl | grep failed

if you see any failed services: systemctl status FAILED_SERVICE replace FAILED_SERVICE with the name of the service

* qm showcmd VMID

* qm config VMID

Hi guys,
sorry for my late reply.
I tried qm unlock and it didn't help.

However, I didn't reboot the server since approx. 180 days, and because I have a cron job which does regular updates, the system was updated but still running an "older" kernel. For some reason this resulted in different problems, but after a reboot everything was fine again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!