VM shutdown, KVM: entry failed, hardware error 0x80000021

I hope this can be fixed with Kernel 5.15 as well.
I am sure they will be fixed. But we have already decided to stick with 5.13 and will be much more conservative the next couple of month with updates and specially with new kernels....

do you think proxmox plan on releasing a new ISO image as the 7.2 runs 5.15
Why? You can always install an older/alternative Kernel after Setup....

I saw 4 times same error after upgrade 7.2. PVE 7.2 host and windows server 2022,q35v6 guest with kvm64.
It crash every 8-12 hours
install intel microcode and check my host's VT settings in bios. not fixed yet

Update: I switched "pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve" kernel now

My host:
CPU(s)
8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz (1 Socket)
Kernel Version
Linux 5.15.35-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.35-3 (Wed, 11 May 2022 07:57:51 +0200)
pve-manager/7.2-4/ca9d43cc

Attachments

• 1653644103610.png
    1653644103610.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Since the last update of kvm few days ago I didn't have cpu error on windows machines, but still have to have Async IO set to threads or native on vm's installed on samba share

Reactions: rursache
goot morning

Installed a Windows Server 2019 last week - same issue - in average 1 shutdown per day. mostly in the night around 4 am.

MyHost:
1653976347230.png

I saw 4 times same error after upgrade 7.2. PVE 7.2 host and windows server 2022,q35v6 guest with kvm64.
It crash every 8-12 hours
install intel microcode and check my host's VT settings in bios. not fixed yet

Update: I switched "pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve" kernel now

My host:
CPU(s)
8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz (1 Socket)
Kernel Version
Linux 5.15.35-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.35-3 (Wed, 11 May 2022 07:57:51 +0200)
pve-manager/7.2-4/ca9d43cc
After switch kernel "pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve". no more crashes my windows vm for 3days.

Reactions: rursache and itNGO
After switch kernel "pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve". no more crashes my windows vm for 3days.
You can also check if current Kernel and Intel-Microcode or "Mitigation=off" in GRUB helps if you have time and accept that it might crash again.

It looks like this workaround also helps. Cause some day the "old" Kernel will be "not supported" so we need valid workarounds with current Versions.

You can also check if current Kernel and Intel-Microcode or "Mitigation=off" in GRUB helps if you have time and accept that it might crash again.

It looks like this workaround also helps. Cause some day the "old" Kernel will be "not supported" so we need valid workarounds with current Versions.
Microcode is ok when it's first crash.

You said switch new kernel (5.15) :

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 5.15.35-1-pve

and update grub config like this:

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub
change this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet mitigations=off"

update-grub2
reboot
afer reboot :
Code:
cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet mitigations=off

will it be work without vm crash ?

Last edited:
check if you boot with grub or systemd-boot - as described in the reference documentation:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline

(also verify that the parameter is active by checking the output of `cat /proc/cmdline` after reboot)
boot-tool refresh
-bash: boot-tool: command not found

it's look grub

after reboot :
Code:
cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet mitigations=off

Last edited:
systemd-boot not installed my system. copy pase problem :( . I want to copy that:
again wrong - please read the docmentation I linked
the command would have been:
Code:
proxmox-boot-tool status

In any case - since the commandline parameter shows up in /proc/cmdline - you're right and are using grub

Reactions: kyesil
Microcode is ok when it's first crash.

You said switch new kernel (5.15) :

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 5.15.35-1-pve

and update grub config like this:

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub
change this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet mitigations=off"

update-grub2
reboot
afer reboot :
Code:
cat /proc/cmdline

will it be work without vm crash ?

Now I'm switched new kernel (5.15.35-1-pve) with "mitigations=off". I'm testing few days after inform you.
Wish me luck.

Reactions: itNGO

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!