VM No bootable device after reboot

Can VM 9000 boot fine? Or does that one also fail? The filesystem is there and so is the boot label, but maybe it doesn't contain anything actually bootable.

Code:
root@saori:~# qemu-img compare /dev/zvol/FileZilla/vm-4052-disk-0 /dev/zvol/FileZilla2/vm-9000-disk-0
Warning: Image size mismatch!
Images are identical.
But except for the size mismatch, the images are identical. I.e. man qemu-img says:
By default, images with different size are considered identical if the larger image contains only unallocated and/or zeroed sectors in the area after the end of the other image.

I'm a bit out of ideas honestly. Did you change anything in the configuration after cloning? Does it work if you clone to the same storage as the original?

no I didn't change anything. and cloning to the original drive makes no difference.
the simple acts of cloning make it not work.

I have the same type of issue restoring from backups, or even a simple reboot of a working VM causing that VM not to boot.

it lools like the boot partitions of the image gets randomly corrupted. but I see no error messages or logs.

Hi!

Maybe ZFS discard/trim problem?
Other option, change the VM disk options: "cache=none,aio=native" and clone again.

Code:
qm config
scsi0: FileZilla2:vm-1003-disk-0,size=44544M

Are you sure this is the right syntax?
AFK the "size=44544M" param is valid for image-files, you using block-device directly.

Possible:
Code:
scsi0: /dev/zvol/FileZilla2/vm-1003-disk-0,cache=none,aio=native

Last edited:
Hi,
Code:
qm config
scsi0: FileZilla2:vm-1003-disk-0,size=44544M

Are you sure this is the right syntax?
AFK the "size=44544M" param is valid for image-files, you using block-device directly.
The size parameter in the configuration is informational only and used for all Proxmox VE managed volumes.
Possible:
Code:
scsi0: /dev/zvol/FileZilla2/vm-1003-disk-0,cache=none,aio=native
It's better to use a Proxmox VE managed volume rather than pass-through. E.g. you won't be able to live migrate like this.

EDIT: for completeness, using the managed volume will resolve to the actual path for the QEMU commandline, so there really is no advantage for using passthrough here. E.g.:
Code:
root@pve8a1 ~ # qm config 117 | grep vm-117-disk-1        
scsi2: zfs:vm-117-disk-1,discard=on,iothread=1,size=1G
root@pve8a1 ~ # qm showcmd 117 --pretty | grep vm-117-disk-1
  -drive 'file=/dev/zvol/zfs/vm-117-disk-1,if=none,id=drive-scsi2,discard=on,format=raw,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=unmap' \

Last edited:
Hi,
vm not working. no bootable device
please share the output of qm config <ID> replacing <ID> with the actual ID of your VM and the output of pveversion -v. Make sure the boot device is selected in the Boot Order setting in the Options tab for the VM.

root@pve8a1 ~ # qm config 117 | grep vm-117-disk-1
scsi2: zfs:vm-117-disk-1,discard=on,iothread=1,size=1G
root@pve8a1 ~ # qm showcmd 117 --pretty | grep vm-117-disk-1
-drive 'file=/dev/zvol/zfs/vm-117-disk-1,if=none,id=drive-scsi2,discard=on,format=raw,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=unmap' \
[/CODE]

AFK this parameters:
discard=on
aio=io_uring
should not be used on ZFS volume, causes data corruption.

Which PVE version uses this settings by default?

AFK this parameters:
discard=on
aio=io_uring
should not be used on ZFS volume, causes data corruption.
Never heard of that. If it would be a general issue, a lot of people would complain. Can you share any details?
Which PVE version uses this settings by default?
discard=on is not a default, this is just an example I posted.

still having the issue. so finally decided to reset everything and go for a fresh install.

the backups on the fresh install are all faillig the same way.
also, creating a new cloud init vm on the new system fail on the same way.

I found that creating a vm from a .img was failing. but, if i rename the img to qcow2 the same process works? any idea?

the new install is even worst than the previous system. resizing a disk vm cause to through mdadm errors and then, revert to the no bootable device issue.

I have the same problem. All my new installed VMs can't boot, showing that "not a bootable disk" and "no bootable device"

Hi,
I have the same problem. All my new installed VMs can't boot, showing that "not a bootable disk" and "no bootable device"
please share the VM configuration qm config <ID> replacing <ID> with the ID of your VM and output of pveversion -v as well as the output of the following (if it's qcow2, it needs to be different commands!):
Code:
fdisk -l /path/to/your/device
lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE /path/to/your/device
wipefs /path/to/your/device
Use pvesm path storage:vm-XYZ-disk-N using your actual volume ID to get the path.

still having the issue. so finally decided to reset everything and go for a fresh install.

the backups on the fresh install are all faillig the same way.
also, creating a new cloud init vm on the new system fail on the same way.

I found that creating a vm from a .img was failing. but, if i rename the img to qcow2 the same process works? any idea?

Use always:

Code:
discard=off
aio=native
cache=none
scsihw=virtio-scsi-pci

Hardcode to every VM's config, Proxmox guys loves to change these values in every release.

Last edited:
Hi,

please share the VM configuration qm config <ID> replacing <ID> with the ID of your VM and output of pveversion -v as well as the output of the following (if it's qcow2, it needs to be different commands!):
Code:
fdisk -l /path/to/your/device
lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE /path/to/your/device
wipefs /path/to/your/device
Use pvesm path storage:vm-XYZ-disk-N using your actual volume ID to get the path.
I have solved the problem. I use the importdisk in terminal instead of using the web UI "create a vm" directly. Although I don't understand what's the difference of them, and what happened.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!