VM network performance

RRJ

Apr 14, 2010
Estonia, Tallinn
Hi,

VM to other servers in same network performance is around 30-50 MB /sec
VM to internet performance is strictly 10 MB /s

So inside one subnet gigabit network is working, but outside is not.
Using virtio drivers.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
only obvious ones:
- are you sure the internet speed should definitely be higher?
- can you compare the internet speed from what you get on other servers?
- there is any other possible bottleneck (eg: a proxy, qos) for that vm IP?

Marco

I get 1 gbps from the VE host where this VM is running from.
Same problem from VM to other internal network segments.
So the 1 gbps is working within the same segment only. I wish I could know the reason why.

sorry, just to understand: you expect a 1GB/s internet connection? I don't know how internet rates are in Estonia, 1gb internet connection should be really expensive... my whole company runs 50+ pc on lan + internal mail & web servers on 10MB/s fiber...

anyway, if that speed is doable, if no explicit limit is there, neither in the vm sw/hw nor in the internet routing... you could try a different vm eth "hardware", eg: intel e1000. If you get better speeds, it must be something due to virtio, perhaps in the vm.

Marco

I'll try.
We run own ASNUM with 2+ gbps IPT connection and 10gbps backbone, so 1 gbps is not a problem :)
I expect to get 1gps at least between internal networks. In the same subnet there is gigabit doable. No limits for that subnet where this VM is (checked twice). From Internet I expect to get at least as much as pve host gets.

I'll keep on testing. Seems like virtio bug atm.

Last edited:
I don't know if it helps but I can easily saturate the 1G link of my home NAS from my Win7 here which sits in a KVM VM, using virtio. PVE host is Intel desktop HW, DQ67SW, Intel LOM. 2 cores are assigned to the VM and it also uses VT-d to pass through a HBA for ZFS (ZoL) inside the VM. The 2 VCPUs are not even sweating. The link passes 2 switches on the way to the server. If nothing else, it shows that it's doable. OS is Debian 7.6.

Hi,

VM to other servers in same network performance is around 30-50 MB /sec
VM to internet performance is strictly 10 MB /s

So inside one subnet gigabit network is working, but outside is not.
Using virtio drivers.
How are you testing the external Internet performance?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!