VM network freeze

The nod has mixed architecture of VM's, a windows vm, a bunch of Ubuntus, Red Hats, and CentOS. I've noticed that I'm running 4.15.17-1 kernel on my other nod so I tried to downgrade the kernel to 4.15.17-1 and I'm watching it now, it looks better still no drop. I'll post an update after some time. Thanks for the suggestion Markus!

Update:
After reverting to kernel 4.15.17-1, the problem disappeared.

Last edited:
The nod has mixed architecture of VM's, a windows vm, a bunch of Ubuntus, Red Hats, and CentOS. I've noticed that I'm running 4.15.17-1 kernel on my other nod so I tried to downgrade the kernel to 4.15.17-1 and I'm watching it now, it looks better still no drop. I'll post an update after some time. Thanks for the suggestion Markus!

Update:
After reverting to kernel 4.15.17-1, the problem disappeared.

I want to do that, too. How could I remove Kernel 4.15.17-3 on an headless server? Edit grub? If I remove apt-get remove pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve than this proxmox-ve pve-kernel-4.15 pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve would bee removed, too.

Are there problems with downgrading on zfs-systems 0.7.9 vs 0.7.8?

Just tested. The issue is still there with pve-kernel-4.15.18-2. But it seem to appear only on Windows 10 VMs not on Windows 2012R2 or Windows 7. I have also updaten every Virtio Drivers to 0.1.160

tried pve-kernel-4.15.18-3 from pvetest...it looks better on this kernel...but there is another issue comming up traffic from the host through a virtual pfsense is not working any more..but with the older kernel it worked

perhaps there is a problem with balance-slb on ovs

Last edited:
Same problem. After update proxmox 4 to 5.1 (now 5.2-6). Only problem interface E1000. Happens under high load, VMs (centos, freebsd). Has changed interface virtio, where possible - helped. On two vm, does not visible interfaces (virtio, realtek, vmware) except used e1000. Any ideas?

Hi,

From proxmox documentation :

You also need to set in the VM the number of multi-purpose channels on each VirtIO NIC with the ethtool command:

ethtool -L ens1 combined X

where X is the number of the number of vcpus of the VM.

Maybe settle multiqueue for Windows guest OS is not enough

One of our problematic servers got moved to new hardware(not related to this problem) so I'm running fresh proxmox install with Linux 4.15.18-7-pve kernel and am testing it to see if the problem still persist. Ill update this post in a day or two.

Hello everyone, we're encountering a massive performance issue once we've upgraded all our hosts to the latest kernel "4.15.18-5". The prior kernel was working fine (4.15.18-4). The problem persists and is reproducable once we're booting into the "...-5"-kernel.

Symptoms:

- VM becomes unresponsive (network wise) and all connections stall and datatransfer goes nuts (stalling)
- Network interface stalls when having an unspecified amount of inbound data hitting network interface of the VM.

Reproduce:

- Create one VM on a host with the -4 kernel
- Create on VM on a host with the -5 kernel
- Transfer data from "-4-Host"-VM to "-5"-Host-VM

Result:

- VM on 4.15.18-4 ==> VM on 4.15.18-5 (not working)
-
VM on 4.15.18-5 ==> VM on 4.15.18-4 (working)

So concluded the 4.15.18-4 Kernel is fine while after updating to 4.15.18-5 atleast incoming data transfers stall after an unspecified amount of data (10 MB to 3 GB tested).

@mladen popov Do you encounter the same symptoms?

As far as we were able to reproduce this, we think this happens only with LXC, not KVM

Last edited:
Clarification for last post:
Only lxc is affacted, OS-independent. ( We have debian-stretch and centos-7.5 here).
Only the inbound direction is affected.
Only lxc on differrent host's are affacted.

Problem is reproducable with scp, rsync, galera-cluster-sync(Xtrabackup).

Bandwith is for short time normal, than it decrases to some Kb/s. Somtimes it is stalled for a couple of seconds.

Reactions: fstrankowski

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!