VM mounting a mountpoint to multiple machines?

goof

May 31, 2024
I have a SSD that is mounted on a linux VM (Plex-VM)-- vm, mp0 /mnt/plex23,mp=/mnt/plex23
Can i also mount this same point to another machine at the same time?

I utilize a service that is only available on windows (Goob-VM)

Hypothetically the mount point would be linked to two virtual machines..

Plex-VM - mp0 /mnt/plex23,mp=/mnt/plex23
Goob-VM - mp0 /mnt/plex23,mp=/mnt/plex23

or would best practice be to create a share, and download the necessary files and just schedule to transfer them?

I have a SSD that is mounted on a linux VM (Plex-VM)-- vm, mp0 /mnt/plex23,mp=/mnt/plex23
Are you sure that is a VM and not a container? I though that only containers could have mountpoints. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Can i also mount this same point to another machine at the same time?
Only if they are containers (which share the Proxmox host kernel). VMs cannot share disks, like you cannot share a physical disk between physical machines.
I utilize a service that is only available on windows (Goob-VM)
Windows cannot be run in a container, and a VM cannot have mountpoints. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hypothetically the mount point would be linked to two virtual machines..

Plex-VM - mp0 /mnt/plex23,mp=/mnt/plex23
Goob-VM - mp0 /mnt/plex23,mp=/mnt/plex23

or would best practice be to create a share, and download the necessary files and just schedule to transfer them?
VMs should use network shares like NFS or SMB.

Reactions: goof
Are you sure that is a VM and not a container? I though that only containers could have mountpoints. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Only if they are containers (which share the Proxmox host kernel). VMs cannot share disks, like you cannot share a physical disk between physical machines.

Windows cannot be run in a container, and a VM cannot have mountpoints. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

VMs should use network shares like NFS or SMB.
Shoot, I apologize for the oversight.

You are correct to say that windows is a vm, and that Plex is running in a container.

The storage device is ntfs but is mounted to a linux machine.

I appreciate the solutions listed. I’m going to look in to nfs or smb and see if this will resolve.

Have a great day!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!