VM Migration between nodes crashes node

could you maybe also post the VM config? thanks!
Sure, it isn't unique to a VM, I can create any VM and have the same problem with it.

Code:
root@node5:~# qm config 102
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 4
cpu: host
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 32768
meta: creation-qemu=6.2.0,ctime=1660494772
name: stress-1
net0: virtio=82:77:B4:3B:11:CF,bridge=vmbr601,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: node5-tank:vm-102-disk-0,cache=writeback,format=raw,iothread=1,size=100G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=d08d0386-d14c-47a4-8e05-3680d015ea1b
sockets: 1
vmgenid: c6c860f9-6236-45a5-8b86-e41f69bf7091
root@node5:~#

so nothing in the journal -> next step would be to dump the actual console (via IPMI/netconsole/serial console) in the hopes that something gets logged there.. it's strange that the node reboots on its own though, usually you'd expect a kernel bug to print some sort of trace and hang :-/
Agree, I'm thinking hardware issues, but it only happens during the migration. I ran the VM on the "bad" nodes under stress for cpu/ram/disk and it survived 24 hours under stress.

Yet a migration causes the reboots.

could you try with cpu type kvm64 instead of host?

worth a shot. then the only thing that remains is to see whether it spits out any message on the local console (/netconsole/serial console) when it crashes.

worth a shot. then the only thing that remains is to see whether it spits out any message on the local console (/netconsole/serial console) when it crashes.
Swapped one of the bad nodes, so far no crashes after 50 or so migrations to and from it.

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!