vm locked after failed backup, can't unlock

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
Hi, from web interface, with a stopped kvm, I issued a backup that failed due to lack of free space.
I removed previous backups and clicked the "backup now" again.
Then I got this error:
Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 102 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage backup --node prox2
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (qemu)
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: VM is locked (backup)
ERROR: Backup of VM 102 failed - command 'qm set 102 --lock backup' failed: exit code 25
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors
ps ax | grep vz
or
ps ax | grep dum
showed no pending dump process, so I decided to unlock manually.
qm manual about lock says:
-lock (backup | migrate) Lock/unlock the VM.
so I thought that issuing the command again would have unlocked:
Code:
# qm set 102 --lock backup
VM is locked (backup)
mmm no luck.. what does the man page mean?
then I tried
Code:
# qm unlock 102
unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/prox2/qemu-server/102.conf.tmp.6630' - Input/output error
in fact:
Code:
# ls -l /etc/pve/nodes/prox2/qemu-server/
totale 2
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 325 25 dic 20.26 100.conf
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 234 22 dic 01.01 101.conf
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 271  7 apr 18.13 102.conf
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data   0  7 apr 18.21 102.conf.tmp.4765
#
rm /etc/pve/nodes/prox2/qemu-server/102.conf.tmp.4765
rm: cannot remove `/etc/pve/nodes/prox2/qemu-server/102.conf.tmp.4765': Input/output error

even if
# lsof | grep 4765
shows nothing
sigh!
Code:
# df -h
File system           Dim. Usati Disp. Uso% Montato su
/dev/mapper/pve-root   37G   20G   16G  55% /
tmpfs                 3,9G     0  3,9G   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                  3,9G  316K  3,9G   1% /dev
tmpfs                 3,9G   19M  3,9G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data   99G   48G   52G  49% /var/lib/vz
/dev/sdc1             495M   78M  393M  17% /boot
/dev/fuse              30M   12K   30M   1% /etc/pve

and finally

Code:
# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.0-57 (pve-manager/2.0/ff6cd700)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-65
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-65
lvm2: 2.02.88-2pve2
clvm: 2.02.88-2pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.1-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-36
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-25
libpve-access-control: 1.0-17
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-17
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
I'm going to reboot proxmox, but would not be a good situation in production.
Thanks

Don't think so, since is a normal bare metal installation with plenty of free space in "data". The only space filled was "root" since is where I've put all my backups (/backup).
Once rebooted, I tried again backup but failed. qm unlock 102 worked instead and then I was able to do the backup. I apologise for not having kept the first error message, but looked a so simple situation (I was aware to be short in backup space) that did not minded. Maybe tomorrow I can try to do some backups until the space fills again and report back error message, vgs and lvs, just for completeness
Thanks a lot

Don't think so, since is a normal bare metal installation with plenty of free space in "data". The only space filled was "root" since is where I've put all my backups (/backup).
Once rebooted, I tried again backup but failed. qm unlock 102 worked instead and then I was able to do the backup. I apologise for not having kept the first error message, but looked a so simple situation (I was aware to be short in backup space) that did not minded. Maybe tomorrow I can try to do some backups until the space fills again and report back error message, vgs and lvs, just for completeness
Thanks a lot
Hi,
free space in root and data are nice but not helpfull for snapshots. If vzdump create an snapshot for the lv, all changes was stored in a new lv (which is on the free space of the VG (not data or root)).
And, very important, your backup-destination must be outside of this lv. Otherwise, you fill the snapshot with backup-data.

Udo

Yes, thanks, I know, that's why I told that is a "normal" installation, so 4GB of VG free space is present, and no vm was running, so no possibility to fill it (is a test PC).
Of course my backup is outside lv, in fact is /backup and that's why I filled the space.
Isn't strange the
qm unlock 102 unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/prox2/qemu-server/102.conf.tmp.6630' - Input/output error
when there was 102.conf.tmp.4765 only?
seems a bug somewhere, but I have to do some test and try to reproduce (is a dual boot machine, and my children are using it at the moment so... )

hey friends dont know if you ever figured this out but i did via this thread forum.proxmox.com/threads/9554-fuse-error-looks-like-a-read-only-file-system

stop cman then stop pve-cluster file system then restart the cluster fs then restart cman

Reactions: Zaman
hineshummer27 That definitely worked for me. The hung backup processes were removed with no headache using that method.

For me I had to go to the shell of the host and do "qm unlock (vmid)", then I had to force stop the VM, then force start it. Now it's working. I did not have to restart the cluster, that's a silly requirement for fixing a single VM.

Reactions: gregwbrooks
I have this same problem in a High Availability cluster with Proxmox VE 4.3. Some virtual machines got lock after backup failure because of a network problem communication with the NFS, where backups are stored.

How can be automated the process of unlock and start of a locked virtual machine?

How do I unlock a VM? Where is this found? Stop and shutdown commands do not work.

Help. I just stopped a restore soon after starting it and it locked the VM. As it had already erased everything on the VM I have no access to vm so how can I unlock it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!