VM list/tree sorting?

tin

Renowned Member
Aug 14, 2010
Northwest NSW, Australia
Something that has always bugged me about Proxmox's web GUI is the left column/tree listing is sorted by VM type, then VMID, with no option to change it (at least not that I've ever found)...

Personally, I'm usually thinking about hostnames, not VMIDs. It would be nice if there was a few buttons at the top (near the "server view" dropdown) for sorting by hostname, by VMID and the existing CT/VM split VMID sort.

Does that make sense? Is it something that can be done?

Personally, I'm usually thinking about hostnames, not VMIDs. It would be nice if there was a few buttons at the top (near the "server view" dropdown) for sorting by hostname, by VMID and the existing CT/VM split VMID sort.

seems understandable to me.
But it would be something that could be controlled through the "User Options" not an extra selecion box. This way it would get saved for the local browser and won't take away space.

Does that make sense? Is it something that can be done?
The tree is quite a complex element and I didn't played around with it much, a quick look shows that we could add a second sort function and set the one to be used dynamical at page load.

Can you open a feature request at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ ? This may not get high priority but else it get forgotten more easily.

Been busy the last few days... Finally got there...
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1408

The reason I suggested having an option present in the GUI itself is that I would sometimes want to flip between sort orders. Sometimes I would prefer hostnames, sometimes I'd want to sort by VMID (depends what I'm doing at the time). But if that's too hard, that's fine - being able to pick a different order at all would be great.

Been busy the last few days... Finally got there...
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1408
thanks.

The reason I suggested having an option present in the GUI itself is that I would sometimes want to flip between sort orders. Sometimes I would prefer hostnames, sometimes I'd want to sort by VMID (depends what I'm doing at the time). But if that's too hard, that's fine - being able to pick a different order at all would be great.

We'll look what seems reasonable if this gets done.

As a side note: A thing which could help you already today is our global search function at the top (also accessible with the key combinations CTRL+SHIFT+F or CTRL+SPACE) you can type hostname, VMIDs poolnames, etc.., then hit enter and the respective tree entry will be selected and opened.
Makes things faster if you look for a specific VM and have only the hostname in mind.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!