VM Hangs on Booting from HD

ejc317

Oct 18, 2012
We created a new VM and then mounted the LV

We then partitioned the LV and created a filesystem. rsync'ed the files into the partition and tried to boot from it and it just hangs on booting from HD. When I tried to do grub-install I get the below ... a bit stumped

grub-install /dev/PL-C-SAN/vm-100-disk-1
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR. This is a BAD idea..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

We created a new VM and then mounted the LV

We then partitioned the LV and created a filesystem. rsync'ed the files into the partition and tried to boot from it and it just hangs on booting from HD. When I tried to do grub-install I get the below ... a bit stumped

grub-install /dev/PL-C-SAN/vm-100-disk-1
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR. This is a BAD idea..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.
Hi,
grub-install should be run inside the client. You can try to chroot inside the VM, but you must use bindmounts of /sys /dev and so on...

But if you copy all content from outside, why you don't copy also the bootblock?

BTW. this has nothing to do with proxmox - you have the same issue by creating an VM on another system.

Udo

Hi,
grub-install should be run inside the client. You can try to chroot inside the VM, but you must use bindmounts of /sys /dev and so on...

But if you copy all content from outside, why you don't copy also the bootblock?

BTW. this has nothing to do with proxmox - you have the same issue by creating an VM on another system.

Udo

Understand this is not proxmox - we tried to DD bootblock - dd first 446 and then write 512 ... same problem

Understand this is not proxmox - we tried to DD bootblock - dd first 446 and then write 512 ... same problem
Hi,
hmm - does the bootblock fit to both layouts?
If you look with file you can see the layout - it's the same?
Code:
file vm-250-disk-1.raw 
vm-250-disk-1.raw: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 32, startsector 2048, 497664 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x5, starthead 59, startsector 501758, 12079106 sectors, code offset 0x63
I'm a friend of an extra boot-partition - so you can copy (dd) the MBR with sda1 (/boot) and change after that the second partition (root, or lvm) and are able to boot.

Have you tried to boot inside the VM an live-cd (like grml) and use than grub-install?

Udo

So after copying the bootblock (first 446kb) - the system boots but gets a kernel panic ...

We can get it to work right if we run a recovery disk but again - the goal is to automate b/c DD is too slow. We want to rsync files, etc ....

So after copying the bootblock (first 446kb) - the system boots but gets a kernel panic ...

We can get it to work right if we run a recovery disk but again - the goal is to automate b/c DD is too slow. We want to rsync files, etc ....
Hi,
that sounds to me, that you should take a look at puppet, or ReaR ("Relax and Recover") or sucht tools to automate install clients.

Udo

Reactions: ebiss

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!