VM freezes irregularly

Thanks all. I was having a slightly different issue with a CWWK N5105 (v5 i226-V version) , where I was seeing significant CPU overhead on KVM when running a FreeBSD guest (OPNsense) with passthrough PCI network interfaces. Tried a few different things with the help of the STH guys, but it was the application of the microcode 0x24000024 which got things working in a sensible fashion and returned performance / CPU overhead to sensible levels. For my system, it's a bit too early to judge stability, but I've had no issues so far in this area in the week it's been in use. I've also applied the 6.2 kernel for "why not?" reasons, based on this thread, although this does not appear to have changed anything for me, positively or negatively.

I appreciate that my issue was not strictly the same stability issue that's been reported here, but as the fix is the same I hoped it might help some future user trying to solve the same issue.

I have similar issues.

The host is a ZBOX CI331 nano.

Code:
Cpu: N5100
Proxmox: 7.4-3

Issues: Guests are freezing/rebooting

Possible fixes

Host:
  Add kernel boot parameter: pcie_aspm=off
  Disable swap
  Disable ksmtuned
  Upgrade kernel: 5.15.107-2-pve -> 6.2.11-2-pve

Guest:
  Change cpu type: kvm64 -> host
  Disable swap

Guests are either freezing or rebooting after 5 min when running sonobuoy.
The conformance test has completed for the first time with the above settings.
Upgrading the kernel seems to have the biggest impact.

What kind of fixes does the microcode 0x24000024 contain?

Last edited:
Am I the only one still having issues? My Docker Debian 11 VM still freezes every about 2 weeks, and sometimes even my HomeAssistant VM freezes.

Tried to update microcode, updated bios, updated kernel... still issues.

The processor is a Celeron N5105 on a Intel NUC Essentials NUC11ATKC4.

I'm thinking of migrating the first to a container, but I would really like to avoid.
Other (much smaller) Debian VMs have no issues, for some reason.

Last edited:
do you have the latest microcode active?

edit: i see you tried to update the microcode, but is it really active? you should check for example with this:
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep microcode

Last edited:
Am I the only one still having issues? My Docker Debian 11 VM still freezes every about 2 weeks, and sometimes even my HomeAssistant VM freezes.

I'm thinking of migrating the first to a container, but I would really like to avoid.
The microcode update fixed it for me, the VM's were running for a solid month.

Only my Ubuntu VM would crash, my pfSense and Home Assistant VM's etc would stay online so unsure if you have a different problem or not.

I'm running a N6005 though

I'm using the same NUC. Just apply BIOS Update V0039 or later (I am on 0039, meanwhile 0041 is out), this brought the needed microcode update and fixed all my issues! On the Host and VM software side, everything is stock. Never tested anything. So no 'extra' installed microcode within VMs and stock Poxmox 5.15 kernel on PVE 7.4.3

Last edited:
do you have the latest microcode active?

edit: i see you tried to update the microcode, but is it really active? you should check for example with this:
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep microcode
I should have the right version.

Code:
root@pulsar:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep microcode
microcode       : 0x24000024

I'm using the same NUC. Just apply BIOS Update V0039 or later (I am on 0039, meanwhile 0041 is out), this brought the needed microcode update and fixed all my issues! On the Host and VM software side, everything is stock. Never tested anything. So no 'extra' installed microcode within VMs and stock Poxmox 5.15 kernel on PVE 7.4.3

I am on that BIOS version as well, but I had installed the microcode manually before. I'm on Proxmox 7.4 with kernel 6.2.
Have you tested long term? Cause I have that VM hanging only one every two/three weeks, but it is still very annoying.

Code:
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Intel Corp.
        Version: ATJSLCPX.0039.2023.0221.1502
        Release Date: 02/21/2023

I should have the right version.

Code:
root@pulsar:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep microcode

I am on that BIOS version as well, but I had installed the microcode manually before. I'm on Proxmox 7.4 with kernel 6.2.
Have you tested long term? Cause I have that VM hanging only one every two/three weeks, but it is still very annoying.

Code:
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Intel Corp.
        Version: ATJSLCPX.0039.2023.0221.1502
        Release Date: 02/21/2023
Very long term, yes. Months already. Running Debian 10, 11 and AlmaLinux VMs. 100% Rock solid. Now I'm very concerned updating to PVE 8 because then I would be forced to get kernel 6.2.

What about for Proxmox 8? I upgraded today, and I got a random crash on a VM minutes later. I was doing fine on Proxmox 7 with kernel 5.19 before.

I never tried this microcode thing. I'm afraid to try since you guys are talking about Bullseye, not Bookworm.

35 day mark now, still on 5.19-7, no issues to report still.

Box is a Terramaster F2-423 with an N5095 and 20GB memory.
Forgot to report back, the problem came back when I upgraded to 6.2, but much less frequent than 5.15 back then. Trying the microcode update right now.

Forgot to report back, the problem came back when I upgraded to 6.2, but much less frequent than 5.15 back then. Trying the microcode update right now.
I'm guessing you're still on Proxmox 7, right? Please do report back. I may have to reinstall Proxmox to go back to 7.

With the 0x24000024 microcode there are no more issues whatsoever on my N5105 machine, was super stable on Proxmox 7 and is still super stable on Proxmox 8 with any kernel.

There is no reason to not be using the latest microcode ..

Reactions: flo1979
With the 0x24000024 microcode there are no more issues whatsoever on my N5105 machine, was super stable on Proxmox 7 and is still super stable on Proxmox 8 with any kernel.

There is no reason to not be using the latest microcode ..
So you're on 8? How do you update to that microcode exactly for Bookworm? Is this the right way?:

By adding this:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main non-free-firmware
...in /etc/apt/sources.list?

So you're on 8? How do you update to that microcode exactly for Bookworm? Is this the right way?:

By adding this:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main non-free-firmware
...in /etc/apt/sources.list?

No, not sid!

Simply add: non-free-firmware to all of your existing (should be three per default: [1]) Debian bookworm repositories and then: apt update followed by: apt install intel-microcode and a reboot afterwards.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories -> "Sources.list"

[0] https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/intel-microcode

Reactions: JasonJoel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!