VM freeze when running qm importdisk on host

elsanto

Sep 6, 2022
Hi all.

I have a HP Microserver g8 (CPU: Xeon E3-1265L RAM; 16GiB ECC, Storage; Crucial MX500 1TB) running proxmox 7.2 without subscription.
There is only one VM (100) running. It's running pfSense, as gateway and firewall, with two NICs (LAN and WAN) bridged.

I want to import some qcow2 disk images to another VM (101). When I run "qm importdisk 101" on host, after 3 or 4 minutes, the pfSense VM (100) get freeze. No ping, no noVNC access, no response to shutdown/reboot buttons and of course stop working as firewall and gateway. During the image disk import the IO delay grow up to 25-40%. Once the importdisk has finished, the io delay dissapears, but the pfSense VM (100) still not responding.

I tryed to run qm ioniced (ionice -c 3 qm importdisk ....) but to no avail.

Surely I am doing something wrong.

Can you help me, please?

Thank you and regards.

I just want to add one thing.

There is only one SSD drive.
Storage is raw on lvm-thin.

In my setup there is only one VM. It's running pfSense for a low traffic home network. I guess it doesn't do much disk IO.

I think that running a "qm importdisk ..." on host should not freeze the VM, even on consumer grade crucial mx500.

I can understand that running "qm importdisk" take much longer on consumer grade storage than on enterprise grade storage, but... make the VM goes down? I don't think so.
There must be another problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!