VM doesn't start Proxmox 6 - timeout waiting on systemd

the overall summary page wasn't functioning and looking at the hardware choices (like usb passthrough) for the affected VM only brought up empty lists.

This sounds like there was something else, possibly completely different, broken...
Open a different thread - if stop mode backup isn't involved this is for sure not the same issue as this thread had.

My experience is exactly the opposite. As this thread is huge, please open a new thread describing your issue.

Why would I start a new thread, when this one contains all the history of the issue? A VM locks up. It can't be reset. qm stop <vmid> from command line sends a sigkill. The VM cannot be restarted due to systemd timeout. Migration works, but you have to click the stop button to get it to migrate. The VM will never restart on the original host until the host is reboot.

I have no reports in my logs, the VM load is light, and the NFS server has stayed online throughout.

Gerald

Reactions: Asr
This sounds like there was something else, possibly completely different, broken...
Open a different thread - if stop mode backup isn't involved this is for sure not the same issue as this thread had.
The web gui not responding properly seems to have been a one off problem. So it is probably unrelated.

But the timeout error remains. Just for this one VM. Even after rebooting the host. All other VMs work well.

So is this systemd timeout issue being looked at, or has it been decided it's not an issue by Proxmox?

So is this systemd timeout issue being looked at, or has it been decided it's not an issue by Proxmox?

Hoping for an answer so I can move forward. I get machines locking and not being able to restart because of this almost every day.

I have one VM that has become permanently un-startable (I will have to delete it, if no solution is found) and one VM that had a timeout issue but a "reboot" fixed that for now.

When the second VM did not start because of the timeout issue, it was impossible to reboot PVE (it tried to reboot but had some issue, with stuff locking up, that I eventually resolved by turning it off and on again).

I tried disabling the blk-mq framework and it worked fine at first. This problem occurred again last night and this time I was able to track in zabbix exactly when it happened. After checking the logs, I found the event:
Code:
Jul 16 04: 11:23 pve02 kernel: INFO: task md126_raid10:742 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
It turned out to be old disks and apparently it's time to replace them. Anyway, the problem discussed here can be reduced to the disk subsystem (something may be configured incorrectly, or the hardware may be outdated)

So, I managed to catch a VM as it locked up. It's IOWAIT time on disk access was using all of the CPUs, which matches what the Proxmox people have mentioned as a potential problem. I have my disk images on NFS.

The thing is, none of the other VMs showed the same IOWAIT, including one that uses the disk quite a lot. So, what made this particular VM have an IOWAIT issue? The NFS server was responsive and working.

I've moved several VMs off Proxmox to Ubuntu 20.04 running KVM with virt-manager and cockpit. I'll monitor to see if the issue happens there as well. My guess is no, since (for me) this has been a Proxmox 6 issue that I never saw on Proxmox 5.4 with the same hardware and NFS server.

Just to bring this to the top. I'm still seeing this issue. I can't start VM's because of the systemd timeout. :/

Just to bring this to the top. I'm still seeing this issue. I can't start VM's because of the systemd timeout. :/

I have had to move away from Proxmox. 25% of my servers are now on Ubuntu 20.04 with libvirtd and cockpit, Yes, I lose functionality, but at least my VMs stay up.

I'd move back to Proxmox in a heartbeat if they solved this issue.

Gerald

I have had to move away from Proxmox. 25% of my servers are now on Ubuntu 20.04 with libvirtd and cockpit, Yes, I lose functionality, but at least my VMs stay up.

I'd move back to Proxmox in a heartbeat if they solved this issue.

Gerald

I'm probably in the same boat for a few PCIe-passthrough VMs that are needed for an upcoming project.

I have the same issue on one of my server. Downgrading to proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 didn't help.

Guys, do you use Intel CPUs who have the timeout issue? Because I had some issues with my Hetzner Servers on Intel CPUs including this and seems was able to fix them by adding intel_idle.max_cstate=1 to the file /etc/default/grub
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="consoleblank=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=1"
and
Code:
# update-grub
and rebooting a server as described here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/r...mox-ve-6-1-auf-ex62-nvme-hetzner.63597/page-3

I wanted to say I've solved this bug timeout waiting on systemd and permanent crashing by adding intel_idle.max_cstate=1
All Servers and VMs are stable now.

Reactions: t.lamprecht
Guys, do you use Intel CPUs who have the timeout issue? Because I had some issues with my Hetzner Servers on Intel CPUs including this and seems was able to fix them by adding intel_idle.max_cstate=1 to the file /etc/default/grub
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="consoleblank=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=1"
and
Code:
# update-grub
and rebooting a server as described here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/r...mox-ve-6-1-auf-ex62-nvme-hetzner.63597/page-3

Just to be clear: Did you make this change on the PVE host or the guest VMs?

Edit: Changed that cstate setting on my PVE host, updated grub, and rebooted. I've got three VMs that won't start up already. No dice.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!