VM doesn't boot up after converting to GPT from MBR

powersupport

Jan 18, 2020
I have tried to convert a disk from MBR to GPT by using a partition manager. I have also changed bios from seabios to OMVF and also added an EFI disk. However, the VM still does not boot up. It gets stuck at UEFI interactive shell. Someone please help me. Server is currently downscreenshot-forum.proxmox.com-2020.01.18-13_53_10.png

I have tried to convert a disk from MBR to GPT by using a partition manager. I have also changed bios from seabios to OMVF and also added an EFI disk. However, the VM still does not boot up. It gets stuck at UEFI interactive shell. Someone please help me. Server is currently downView attachment 14221
Hi,

For me workaround for Win8 was like this:
  1. Create new WM and Install it.
  2. Make a backup FAT32 partition.
  3. Restore FAT32 Partition to old VM.
  4. Make some changes with btmgr and uefi for Windows Boot.
  5. Clone OVMF disk drive to old VM.
Or You can use rEFInd as bootloader in VM on FAT32 Partition.

Reactions: bligher
Hi,

For me workaround for Win8 was like this:
  1. Create new WM and Install it.
  2. Make a backup FAT32 partition.
  3. Restore FAT32 Partition to old VM.
  4. Make some changes with btmgr and uefi for Windows Boot.
  5. Clone OVMF disk drive to old VM.
Or You can use rEFInd as bootloader in VM on FAT32 Partition.

Hi tymonych,

Could you guide us detail about changing something with btmgr and uefi for Windows Boot?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!