vm disk size

amk316

Feb 9, 2024
hello
i have a vm with OPNsense and i do a weekly backup for it.
the problem is the backup size only increase every week and don't decrease like other vms i have.
i have installed QEMU Guest Agent and check the "discard" option on the thin provisioning hard disk like the other vms.
any idea how to solve this?

i have a vm with OPNsense and i do a weekly backup for it.
the problem is the backup size only increase every week and don't decrease like other vms i have.
i have installed QEMU Guest Agent and check the "discard" option on the thin provisioning hard disk like the other vms.
Do you run some kind of trimming inside the VM? Otherwise the thin storage underneath does not know which blocks to discard.

did not run any
the other linux and windows vms also i did not run any command but they are trimmed!!! just install the agent and everything is ok

did not run any
the other linux and windows vms also i did not run any command but they are trimmed!!! just install the agent and everything is ok
Yes, but those are other operating systems that use other filesystems, which are not Copy-On-Write. Try trimming the ZFS pool(s) inside your OPNsense VM? I don't know much about OPNSense, so I hope you can determine how to do it regularly and complain to them that it does not do it automatically.

root@OPNsense:~ # zpool status -t zroot
pool: zroot
state: ONLINE
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
zroot ONLINE 0 0 0
ada0p4 ONLINE 0 0 0 (untrimmed)

errors: No known data errors

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!