VM disk performance

Mar 10, 2021
HI all,

I suspect this has been covered a million times but I wanted to post with my config to see if people can point me in the right direction.

We have a couple of high disk I/O servers - Netxms and another similar style tool - we are getting errors on the servers and we were told to review our disk sub system (under the hood disk config)

We have 2 x PVE hosts (Dell servers 128GB RAM 8 Core 1 CPU) 10GB Ethernet x 2 connected to a Freenas physical box with Samsung SSD in an NFS pool.

One of the vms is using virtio iscsi controller and also iscsi disks the other is using virtio controller and IDE disks (for some reason).

The freenas has 128GB RAM and the ARC hits are up at 98% which is good I am told - I don't see anything obvious on the freenas.

The 10GB nics are connected to 2 x Mikrotik 10G switches which then connect to the Freenas - in an aggregated NIC setup in fault tolerent mode (1 Nic Active)

So the question is to get to the bottom of this and find out where my issue lies where does one start.

I am using Proxmox 5.4 and Freenas 11.3 (Proxmox will be upgrade to 6.x soon )

ON the Netxms DB we the server locked up and in the kernel logs we can see this sort of thing "775471] INFO: task jbd2/sdb-8:615 blocked for more than 120 seconds."
On the other VM the product support said we were not able to write fast enough for the app... They did give figures but can't find them at the minute.

If I missed anything let me know

Cheers

Michael

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!